Milled intake help

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
I was told my 440 heads were angle milled. I don't know how much. I assumed the intake was as well. Now I am not so sure. I look down the ports with a Maglite and I can see about .030" of the tops of each cylinder head port. In other words, the intake looks to be sitting HIGH on the heads. My buddy loaned my an M-1 that he KNOWS is milled and I set that on the motor. Now I can see .030 of the BOTTOM of the cylinder head ports!

Both intakes are on a stock bathtub gasket only.

Should I just ditch the bathtub and run fiber gaskets with the M-1 then it will line up? Have you guys ran across this before?

Angle milling can be a royal PITA because the usual formulas are outt he window. It sounds like they were angle milled but wihtout knowing how much the new M1 or the heads were cut, god knows... I would not ue a borowed intake. Get the one you want, and have it cut to fit the package. Chances are good that if you run the paper with teh bathtub and the M1 it will develop a vacuum leak because the flanges of the head and intake are not the same. That messes up the pressure teh bolts exert and allow foramore movement than the gaskets were designed for. It's not like a surface imperfection the gaskets would fix... Maybe if it's just to experiment... short term maybe.

I don't plan on running bathtub+gaskets with the M1. Just gaskets and a valley cover. I was told the bathtub is a no-no with an aluminum intake but I have always done it that way (shrug).

you might double up the paper then... The no bathtub with aluminum bit is simply not true.

-
Back