Milodon gear drive timing set on 410 stroker

-

krw340

Reaction score
I went with the gear drive timing set instead of a chain. I had 1/4" taken off the fuel pump eccentric like the directions said. Otherwise it rubbed on the timing chain cover. The problem is when the gear is slid on the cam there is nothing to stop the FP eccentric from turning. The only thing holding the eccentric is the cam bolt. The key on the cam does not stick out to catch the slot in the eccentric. I also had to grind about 1/4" off the head of the cam bolt too. Anyone using one of these gear drives and how did you make this work ? Pictures ? Milodon #13600

im using the same setup but im also using a electric fuelpump with blockoff plate where fuel pump was

Have you called Milodon and asked?
You could probably get a longer keyway for the cam and modify it to fit the cam slot and stick out farther... But it might be wiser to have shop take the eccentirc and cam gear and drill for a countersunk bolt fromt he back thru the gear. Milodon probably assumes these are not on street cars with mechanical fuel pumps...lol

Have you called Milodon and asked?
You could probably get a longer keyway for the cam and modify it to fit the cam slot and stick out farther... But it might be wiser to have shop take the eccentirc and cam gear and drill for a countersunk bolt fromt he back thru the gear. Milodon probably assumes these are not on street cars with mechanical fuel pumps...lol

I didn't contact Milodon yet. I checked their website but no info there. I thought about a longer keyway but like you said I would have to modify the cam slot. I purchased a cam snout extension from Hughs Engines part # HUG 7013 hoping I can make it work. I had to have the cup shape part (with the keyway slot) machined .065" so the key wont fall out. May have to make more mods yet.

And your probably right about their assumption about it not being used with mechanical pump. Not to crazy about using an electric pump on a street car. I'll try posting some pics when I get it figured out. Maybe it will save the next guy some time and headaches ! Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

The geardrive system I'm using is the Milodon 13600. It's application seems to be used with electric fuel pump. To get it to work with a mechanical FP I had to have the fuel pump eccentric milled .250" to keep it from rubbing on the timing chain cover. I purchased the Hughes Engines cam snout extension #7013. The black cup shape washer in the kit had to be milled .065" thinner and measured .375" thick after it was milled. Made a new keyway that ended up measuring .448" long and made a notch in it to fit in the cam gear slot. Also had to grind the head of the cam bolt down otherwise it would rub on the timing chain cover. I'll post some pictures if I can figure out how ? I could have saved some time and purchased the mopar gear drive set that comes with the fp eccentric. That comes with a $610 price tag compared to the $377 milodon one.

pics

Attachments

• HPIM1443.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 545
  • HPIM1454.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 473
  • HPIM1455.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 524
  • HPIM1457.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 615
  • HPIM1459.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 559
  • HPIM1460.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 576
  • HPIM1461.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 627
I just ran an electric fuel pump with my gear drive setup....

That would work great if it is being used for a race only application. I would not trust an electric fp on a 80 degree day and a 300 mile road trip. Will the gear set hold up on the trip ? I don't know ! The Milodon gear drive set that I'm using seems to be used for a race application. The modifications I have made will allow it to be used on the street or strip and with the use of a mechanical fuel pump. I'm just trying to give the next guy another option and maybe save him some time and headaches.

That would work great if it is being used for a race only application. I would not trust an electric fp on a 80 degree day and a 300 mile road trip. Will the gear set hold up on the trip ? I don't know ! The Milodon gear drive set that I'm using seems to be used for a race application. The modifications I have made will allow it to be used on the street or strip and with the use of a mechanical fuel pump. I'm just trying to give the next guy another option and maybe save him some time and headaches.

Almost every modern car runs an electric fuel pump. These cars go tens of thousands of miles without issue in all weather conditions.

Totally cool man... My gear drive /408 stroker is for a street car, where I'll be putting thousands of miles on it...With an electric fuel pump....Think of how many millions of cars out there on the road with electric fuel pumps....They seem to be running just fine, and with thousands of miles racked up on them...lol So I think I won't have any issues with that.

This is the unit I used...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-13600/

All I had to do was drill one hole in the block for the mounting bracket. Set the backlash for the gears and mounting plate, and set the timing as per the instructions. It wasn't too easy, I had my brother help me, but it was kinda of a pain in the ***...

Totally cool man... My gear drive /408 stroker is for a street car, where I'll be putting thousands of miles on it...With an electric fuel pump....Think of how many millions of cars out there on the road with electric fuel pumps....They seem to be running just fine, and with thousands of miles racked up on them...lol So I think I won't have any issues with that.

This is the unit I used...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-13600/

All I had to do was drill one hole in the block for the mounting bracket. Set the backlash for the gears and mounting plate, and set the timing as per the instructions. It wasn't too easy, I had my brother help me, but it was kinda of a pain in the ***...

Ok I meant I wouldn't run an electric water pump on the street. Since that is my next step. From the research I've done electric water pumps are not reccomened on street cars. But I still would not use an electric fp on a street/strip car. If a fuel line started to leak and a fire started under the hood, kiss your car good buy. Maybe someone here can convince me that the modern electric fp is just as safe as the mechanical one ?

Ok I meant I wouldn't run an electric water pump on the street. Since that is my next step. From the research I've done electric water pumps are not reccomened on street cars. But I still would not use an electric fp on a street/strip car. If a fuel line started to leak and a fire started under the hood, kiss your car good buy. Maybe someone here can convince me that the modern electric fp is just as safe as the mechanical one ?

I was thinking you may have been talking about an electric water pump.

Right, electric water pumps are kinda sketchy on the street, although I'm gonna try it out as I already have one on my engine. lol I'll probably end up changing it, but in like my other thread I started, I'm going to add a small bypass at the top of the pump by drilling and tapping an -AN fitting from the pump to the bypass on the manifold.

And I don't really understand how a fuel line will start to leak if you run an electric fuel pump...I think you'd be fine if you replace the old stuff and use good quality new fuel lines, or even braided stainless or stainless hard line...I think it'd be fine...Anyways, to each there own. :)

Right, electric water pumps are kinda sketchy on the street, although I'm gonna try it out as I already have one on my engine. lol I'll probably end up changing it, but in like my other thread I started, I'm going to add a small bypass at the top of the pump by drilling and tapping an -AN fitting from the pump to the bypass on the manifold.

And I don't really understand how a fuel line will start to leak if you run an electric fuel pump...I think you'd be fine if you replace the old stuff and use good quality new fuel lines, or even braided stainless or stainless hard line...I think it'd be fine...Anyways, to each there own. :)
Too much pressure will do it. I your using a carb it only takes ~8 psi but fuel injections needs a lot more (depending on the car) ~60 psi.

You try using a regulator with the electric pump?

regulator yes of course. and I'm talking about using a carburetor....but anyways im not arguing or anything, just making a discussion, stating what I'm using. :)

But I still would not use an electric fp on a street/strip car. If a fuel line started to leak and a fire started under the hood, kiss your car good buy. Maybe someone here can convince me that the modern electric fp is just as safe as the mechanical one ?

I really don't see the difference between running an electric or mechanical fuel pump in this regard. With either, you'll have to cut the fuel supply by shutting off the engine or cutting power to the electric pump after you detect a fire.

My dad, my brother, and I have all been running electric pumps on our street/strip cars for the last couple decades with no incidents.

-
Back