Mini Spool 8.75 questions?

-

Jacob

Reaction score
I'm debating installing a mini spool into my otherwise stock 742 casing 8.75. I was wondering what this entailed work wise? Has anyone else done this before? Did you regret not running a sure grip?

Basically you just pull the axles, pumpkin, cross shaft and spider gears and replace the spiders with the mini spool setup. It won't affect your gear mesh or setup whick is the positive. The full spool weighs alot less though. If you don't mind dragging / squeeling a tire when you turn it's ok.

If you retain the stock axles, prepare to replace them as they break, because sooner or later they will.

Thanks for the quick responses! (This forum is awesome) Why would I break axles? Is this something you personally have experience with? I only have a mild small block (400 horse). I was planning on switching over to bbp axles but hoped to stay with stock replacement. Any idea how much heavier a mini spool is compared to a sure grip?

I rarely notice any tire squeeling running a spool on mine. Every now and then I can hear a faint "chirpping" when turning a corner. When turning, your left and right wheels are going to fight each other (one will try to drag, one won't). The outside wheel wants to go fast and the inside wants to go slow which causes higher stresses. This is what COULD break the axles. Doesn't mean it will. It may or may not happen to you. I just try to take wide turns with mine to keep from dragging too much. For the price and weight loss going to a spool, I have no regrets as of yet not having a sure grip.

Mini spool is like welded spider gears ( old derby stuff) stuff will break but it'll take some work on the street. Spool eliminates the entire carrier, mini doesn't. Pic of results?
DSCN1893.jpg~320x480

Thanks again for more replies! Does anyone have a picture of a mini spool installed on an 8.75? I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly what it looks like.

-
Back