Mini Starter and Neutral Safety Switch??

-

Thanatos340

Reaction score
I dropped an A Body drivetrain (318/904) into a 1939 Dodge Truck I am building. I am installing an American Auto Wire Universal Wiring Harness.

My question is do I need to run a control relay if I am using a Mini Starter with built in Solenoid? The wiring diagram for the harness I am installing suggest that I run directly from the Ignition switch to neutral safety switch and the back to the Solenoid?

My concern is the harness is using 10 gauge wire provided for the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch harness on the 904 is 18 gauge wire at best. Is that 18 gauge wire sufficient to run back to the solenoid our should I use an additional relay? How much amperage does a starter solenoid pull?

Which harness are you using?

American Auto Wire Power Plus 13. It is set up for GM and expecting the neutral safety switch to be the Shifter type switch. I would prefer to use the Trans safety switch as it also powers my reverse lights. I am just concerned the small 18 gauge wire from the pigtail for the switch is too small to run directly back to the solenoid. Not sure what kind of amperage the Solenoid coil draws.

Only way you can eliminate a relay for Mopar NSS is if you have a shifter mounted NSS. I WOULD NOT. I would use a relay regardless of whether using a shifter NSS or the transmission NSS

You do NOT need to use the traditional starter relay if you don't want. The newer RAM/Dakota/Jeep stuff uses a Bosch style relay, mounted in the relay box.

My reasoning is the current draw of the solenoid. GM OEM NSS are designed for this, most aftermarket shifter NSS "not so much" There are limits LOL of what a mini/ micro sized "microswitch" can handle, regardless of current ratings.

THERE IS ONE HELL of a big voltage spike caused by the inductance of the solenoid, and that will EAT switches

Only way you can eliminate a relay for Mopar NSS is if you have a shifter mounted NSS. I WOULD NOT. I would use a relay regardless of whether using a shifter NSS or the transmission NSS

You do NOT need to use the traditional starter relay if you don't want. The newer RAM/Dakota/Jeep stuff uses a Bosch style relay, mounted in the relay box.

My reasoning is the current draw of the solenoid. GM OEM NSS are designed for this, most aftermarket shifter NSS "not so much" There are limits LOL of what a mini/ micro sized "microswitch" can handle, regardless of current ratings.

THERE IS ONE HELL of a big voltage spike caused by the inductance of the solenoid, and that will EAT switches

Thanks. That is what I was thinking too. Just wanted to get a few second opinions to make sure I am not over complicating things.
I just ordered this relay Amazon.com: OLS 12V DC 120 Amp Split Charge Relay Switch - 4 Terminal Relays for Truck Boat Marine: Automotive and will use the Trans NSS to control it. Run 10 Gauge from the ignition switch to the relay and then 10 gauge from relay output to the starter. Then use 18 gauge for the control going through the NSS to engage the relay.

Since this is a complete custom build, everything has been a little more challenging. 1939 Dodge Truck on a 90`s S10 Chassis (I know.. Heresy but it fit really well and instant modern suspension and brakes) with a 70`s 318/904 drive train.

HOLY CRAP that is overkill!!!

If that thing is descent quality, it is sure a buy!!

-
Back