Mini Starter Comformation

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Well, I now "remember" what a pain in the *** it is to take a mopar starter out of a SB with headers...*&%$#@*, my arm will never be the same. I think it's time to invest in a mini starter for the rebuild. If possible, those of you that "already" have one installed, could any confirm what I should get?

I have read a few threads, but just want to be sure..I've ended up in the past "wasting" money by bringing the wrong part home :angry4:

Are these smaller starters standard equipment on the later models or do I have to ask them for a mini starter vehicle?

This is what I have read so far that "may" work:

98 Dakota?
95 Dodge ram?....anything else or other years?

mopar mini ?? - I think it would be cheeper to pick up something like above.

PS does engine size matter?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I would like a few options at the used car parts rip off joint.

Thanks for your help

Got mine for 60 bucks used and it came off a 96 dakota with a V6. Im pretty sure that they were standard on V6's 95/96 and newer. My dad has one in his 96 Dakota with a V8 and it was stock.

I took the one off my '88 B350 van with a 360 and put it on my Valiant. I put an old style on the van.

Chuck

You actually got it out? Way to go. I had to disassemble the stock starter in place and remove it piece-by-piece to get it past the Hookers. What a PITA. But yes, I believe there are at least three slightly different variations, depending mostly on the manufacturer. You headers could also affect what fits or fits best. I'd get one from the local parts house and check it out, so you can return it if there is any issues.

if you have the engine out you can moc fit it up before you reinstall your engine ,we run the nipondinso starters on all our mopars , you can find them on ebay for about $ 60.00 new including shipping. The only thing we had to do to make fit was take a hand grinder and take a small tab off the block where the starter hit on one of our 360 the others all worked perfectly . ebay auction no 150089240924 If you have any questions pm me thanks Nick.

NMC_ru_Pickerell_jpg.jpg

i got mine from a 98 ram.. they are all over ebay for under $50.. 440 source is also selling them pretty cheap..

Nippendenso gear reduction(mini) starter.
Will fit 170,198,225,273,318,340,360,383,400,426,440

Tell the parts store you have a 88-90 Dakota.V6 or V8,doesnt matter same starter.

Good luck.

In any of the LA series, or related engines. More likely to be in a magnum equipped vehicle. From dakota's, to rear wheel drive vans, and of course Ram trucks. On 3.9, 5.2, 5.9. The local yards around here have a mini-starter monster. He goes around to the yards yanking out all the mini-starters he can find, either mopars or even those other big two. I was lucky enough to be there when they were placing a dakota down on the stands before the guy showed up. He arrived when I was getting out from underneath. And it doesn't matter if it's a auto or stick.

It must be the kind of headers you are using that makes getting the full size starter out hard. I have Hedmans and all I had to do was disconnect the drivers side tie rod from the pitman arm and crank the wheel so the pitman arm moved to the passenger side and the starter comes right out. Took all of 20 minutes to R&R the starter in the Barracuda. I did use one of the mini starters from a 99 Ram for the faster cranking certainly was no real advantage form and R&R standpoint since the full size came out with no issues.

i have this mopar preformance starter p/n is p5249644ab. works like a champ with no regreats. it is on my 340 with no mods to install it. no headers though, but it has to add clearance from the original starter. was about $100.00 i think new?

Well thanks a lot guys. I indeed now have the info to get my act together.

PS I now have them low riding crap Flowmasters which I will be saying goodbye to. Would like the TTIs, however $$$-$, one more extra digit for us Canadian prices! I'll try to find something second from the best??????

I Have Bought 5 From My Local Salvage Yard.they Sell Them To Me For $25 Dollars A Piece.guaranteed To Work.i Am Getting Them Out Of 3.9 Ltr Dodge Dakotas.they Bolted Right Onto My 360 With Hooker Supercomp Hedders In My Drag Car.and In My 74 360 Duster With Factory Manifolds And Power Steering.also In My Ram Pickup.they Are Definately Worth The Money.

got mine out of 95 1500 318 35 $ junkyard ,tested at autozone ,fits in my 73 dart 340 headman headers power steering works good

-
Back