mini starter diameter compared to earlier starters

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart 360/904. the custom ex pipe down from the ex manifold that I want to go with is too close to the starter body. how much skinnier is a mini starter? Stock car & no ex wrap is allowed. and is their a starter wrap or heat shield for this. thank you for your time. RR

This is almost a no brainer… The motor on the mini starter like on the late LA and magnum engines isn’t much larger in diameter (about twice) than the starter solenoid. The late LA trucks had stainless heat shields at the starter.

Just spitballing off of memory but I'd say it's about a full inch less in diameter compared to the old gear-reduction ones. It's pretty drastic. Also about 2 inches shorter in length.

If you don’t care to, take a measurement of the two and post the dimensions back to this post. It will come up when someone does a search, so it will help the next person who is looking. Thanks!

My ancient hooker headers will not clear the solenoid on the mini. The motor diameter is smaller, But a tube ran thru the exact area the solenoid needed to be. Fair warning. If your exhaust runs close to the front of the old style starter, you might solve your problem with a mini. If it runs toward the back, you may need a high-dollar clockable mini starter.

Here is what I used on the 318 in my '71 Dart GT. I should've done a side by side with the factory unit.

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

I was just gonna say something about somebody (anybody) posting a pic of the 2 side x side.
Of the old style Mopar starters there were 2 different sizes of them, the 1.5 hp and a 1.8 hp, the 1.8 was, as I remember about a 1/2" longer case .
Of those 2, the 1.5 was the "whinier" of them, had more of the telltale Mopar sound that we all recognize from somewhere down in the depths of a shopping center parking lot, that couldn't be mistaken for any other brand of car.
That is the biggest reason I don't like the mini starters even though everything I have now has a mini, is I miss that sound...
Regarding the old school Mopar starters my son had an armload of them that he took into the local starter shop to be gone thru, and was told by the owner of the starter shop that rebuild parts are starting to get hard to get. I have a couple if like to send in for a refresh. My best one works fine just needs a new bendix.

good comprehensive info, I'll get after it!. so a good plan might be a mini with that heat wrap. thanks guys. RR

Last edited:
There's also a different mini-starter which hugs the Slant-6 block a lot tighter than the one in the pics in this thread; go lookit here and follow the links.

Maybe not EXACTLY what you’re looking for, but here’s a comparison of the Carquest 3250S (original) and Carquest 17466SN (mini).

I had ordered the 3250S for some reason and never installed it, so can’t officially verify fitment.

1BB26ADB-D0C5-445C-876D-18B6D85BF423.jpeg

1DB635A7-B0C4-4C7E-9D22-2917B54E5F7A.jpeg

0F1BD06F-5323-465A-B052-EA062752F71C.jpeg

15E63E79-AF07-4258-98D8-41EB4514F64B.jpeg

37BC69F8-6DEC-4CD5-A4F8-FE4BF9E22349.jpeg

74ED8CEA-04EF-4E5E-B91A-70435C3F286C.jpeg

The 3250 looks like the typical Mopar starter, looks also just like a 3257 or 3258. Of those two I know the difference (3257 is the 1.5hp, the 3258 is the 1.8hp), don't know what difference between these and 3250

My original starter died a couple weeks ago. It must have weighed 30 lbs. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up the replacement. It weighted half as much as the original and cranks at twice the speed.

-
Back