mini starter install

-

Airdwayne

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My 73 swinger won't start, barley cranks a few times before it gives up. My dad, an old Mopar guy, says sounds like the starter. I bought a smaller starter from a Dakota at a wrecking yard in preparation for header install. However upon installation, it sat crooked against what was a metal tab by the corner of the oil pan. Are there starters that work around this or does it have to be removed?

i believe some people have had to grind some off of the stater or block for clearance. I have a magnum block and the starter i got for mine fit like a glove.

I got mine off a Dodge Ram pickup (91 I think) and it fit my 318 like it was made for it. :)

I got mine off a Dodge Ram pickup (91 I think) and it fit my 318 like it was made for it. :)

By any chance does your 318 have the tab on the block? i looked at auto zone for 91 dodge ram charger (had the 5.2l option) and a 91 Dakota (5.2l option) and both had the same part number.

Or would they all have the same mounting space shape? like would some not have casting where the tab would be?

Some of the mini starters have a "thing" hooked to the electrical terminals which can interfere, too. You can remove that and when done, you have the same studs as the old starter, or at least similar.

By any chance does your 318 have the tab on the block? i looked at auto zone for 91 dodge ram charger (had the 5.2l option) and a 91 Dakota (5.2l option) and both had the same part number.

Sorry, as I didn't even notice.
But I have also heard that some have to clearance things a little, but I thought that pertained to big blocks.

Is there any chance you can post a decent picture of the problem area?

Yeah that's what I read too. Only fitment issue with big blocks. I will try to get a good pic from under tomorrow. It might be tough as I crawl under with all 4 tires on the ground. The autozone for a 94 ram v6 or 8 and the 73 318 don't seem to different as far as mounting surface.

I did happen to get pictures. all but one you can't see the interference. the only one visible is with the starter removed. however it wasn't like i was imagining. it actually looked ground down already. the problem was the post adaptor. popped the cap i didn't know it had to expose the nuts securing it. made it in to place and not sits flush and parallel. Adjusted the wires so the holes matched that of the adaptor and struggled to get them on the starter. haven't put the battery back to test it but I'm confident. thanks.

-
Back