mini-starter questions

-

shadango

Reaction score
My car needs a starter and I am planning headers so I know I want a mini-starter....

I seem to remember seeing a post a while back saying that the newer 318 engine starters were smaller.....

Or is the Mopar Performance mini starter the only way to go?

Any other info I need to know when buying the starter?

What do you guys think of this one:

http://www.motorcityreman.com/17466.html

Thanks!

mine i used out of a 95 dodge dakota....ac delco part #.. 336-1578 from parts plus......

It looks like the 5.2 and 5.9 dodge truck engines in 95 use the same starters, right?

Will the wiring be the same ,etc? Is this just a bolt-in sort of thing?

all wiring is the same.....I had to drill out the small wire to fit over the existing lug that is it.......Spins over super fast...also that starter fits 3.9 v6 all the way to 5.9 v8 trucks...all through the 90.'s......for some weird reason they are not showing that one instock... have access to direct parts to show what they have instock at my local parts house ..here is just a REMY one they have...Part # 17181 priced at 150.00

Cool.....

Just did some searching online....Autozone wants $90 for a starter for a 95 Ram, and its a reman......problem is they want $50 for the core charge..I dont have the core....

The link I posted above has the starter for $99 no core....but shipping. Still probably save some money.....does that starter there look the same as yours?

Cool.....

Just did some searching online....Autozone wants $90 for a starter for a 95 Ram, and its a reman......problem is they want $50 for the core charge..I dont have the core....

The link I posted above has the starter for $99 no core....but shipping. Still probably save some money.....does that starter there look the same as yours?

i bought the starter without a core. then brought my reciept back with an older starter (easy to find) as a core. those idiots at the desk don't know the difference.

i bought the starter without a core. then brought my reciept back with an older starter (easy to find) as a core. those idiots at the desk don't know the difference.

What he said. :-D

I would just get one from auto parts store. put it on your car. return your old one for the core. The auto folks will not take the time to check for any numbers that MAY be on your old starter. They will just chack to see if its a starter. Even for Sunday you should be able to call and find one today.

When I bought mine I checked two performance shops as well as two part suppliers napa and Car Quest. Turns out the best price was the Dodge dealer in town....go figure.
AL

I dont have an old one to use as a core..... :(

So looking for the best botom line ...dont need it today since I dont have the trans yet, but I also dont want to order something on back order....

I may in fact check with the local dealer tomorrow before I jump.......

I was thinking used, too.....what do they run $$ wise used?

Pull a part, $15,00 ea. Got two, one worked fine one was dead. Took back the bad one and they gave me credit till they get in another Dakota. As the guy's have said the V6-V8's appear to be the same. The front wheel drive use the same starter motor but the mount is different, has three bolts. I took one apart to see how it works, and clean the commutator. The brushes have a heavy spring so you need to push them up and hold them with paper clips or piece of wire to get the armature back in the housing. Just push them up till the wire will slide under the spring at the top.

Don't worry about an exact core. Most of the people that work in our AutoZone store don't know a starter from a hub cap. Any starter will do. Go see someone at a scrap yard and walk around and find one lying on the ground and if ya have to give em $5 for their trouble. Good luck. I bought mine off ebay and they were a deal so i bought a spare.

I got mine used off craigslist for $40 about 7 years ago. 3 or 4 different motors, and 2 clean outs (had a bad valve cover leak) and it has never let me down. I have used it on 318, 360 and it is on my slant right now.

Junkyard starters for me. I've had them on 500+ hp SB's and no issues.

Can't beat the $7-10 price on half off weekends.

Shandango,i see you settled for e-body,oh well..good luck with it..

Shandango,i see you settled for e-body,oh well..good luck with it..

Yeah, Maybe one day I will step up to a A-body.... 8)

Seriously though....if I ever tore of this one or if I would be lucky enough to have more than one toy car, I would definately like either a 70-72 Duster or a 67-69 barracuda. :)

I have used two of these in different cars and was very happy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-MINI-MOPAR-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-STARTER-SUPER-TORQUE_W0QQitemZ370166739335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item370166739335&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Not sure why the link wont post but its ebay Item number: 370166739335 Try a "cut and paste" on the above link. Sorry guys!

All the yards around here want 50 for one.Anyone of you lucky dogs want to score me one and ship it to me? My stock 43 year old starter is starting to go,POS:-D

All the yards around here want 50 for one.Anyone of you lucky dogs want to score me one and ship it to me? My stock 43 year old starter is starting to go,POS:-D

There's got to be a pick a part close to you. That's where I get mine.

There is. But everytime I go,anthing with a mini starter is picked clean.There must be a local rebuilder that nabs them up.

Its 2 dollars just to get into the yard,and the pickins are very slim.After spending 10 dollars in entrance fees,and leaving empty handed,I gave up. I miss living in Vegas,some great yards around there!

-
Back