Mini starter that will work with sb TTI step headers

-

cpearce

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i have seen many posts with issues using TTI headers and mini starters on early A bodies. I installed my TTI headers on my 69 Dart and my 440 Source mini starter barely went in and is touching two tubes once mounted. Can someone please give me an exact part number they know for certain will work? I only want to buy one more starter. Thanks everyone. Small block 408, w2 heads, 1 5/8 1 3/4 step.

same motor/head/header setup before and used a 1992 Dodge Dakota with a V8 also, cleared no problem. Even clears the TTI 1-7/8 headers now on it

Thanks everyone. Is that the denso part? My local dealer can get me a reman unit. I think he said it was denso.

haha, got my from a friend who manages a wrecking yard. Make sure to get the connector for the solenoid, its a plug not a terminal.

haha, got my from a friend who manages a wrecking yard. Make sure to get the connector for the solenoid, its a plug not a terminal.
Fred, that sounds like a great friend to have. I used to have a friend that managed an Advanced Auto Parts store. That came in very handy. He has since moved on to another job.

Denso Remanufactured OE replacement Starter
Once it is time to change your starter, Denso has the best original equipment (OE) quality replacement auto component for you to bring back your electrical system into perfect condition. It installs without need for modifications and works exactly as… see more

Denso 280-0136 Starter - Direct Fit
?src=denso.jpg

np2800136_is?wid=250&hei=250&DefaultImage=noimage.jpg

$105.68 $325.00You Save $219.32 (67%)Add to Cart
Availability: In Stock, 1-2 Business Days

Earn 106 points!
Only from APW Rewards

I thought I would post a few photos showing what I am up against with my 440 source starter. As you can see it is touching two tubes on bottom side and there is still a gap where starter flange bolts to scattershield. i can't tighten it any more because it is pulling it down on header tubes.
20170121_184240.jpg
20170121_182703.jpg
20170121_184537.jpg

same motor/head/header setup before and used a 1992 Dodge Dakota with a V8 also, cleared no problem. Even clears the TTI 1-7/8 headers now on it
FredS,
Are you using a factory bellhousing? I am using a quick time scattershield and I am begining to think that might be the issue. Here is a photo of my starter, is this what yours looks like?

Are any of you guys using a quick time scattershield?

I run a QT. TTI steps, in Demon with the 92 Dakota starter. Tubes aren't even close. I can shoot some pics tomorrow if ya need them.

I run a QT. TTI steps, in Demon with the 92 Dakota starter. Tubes aren't even close. I can shoot some pics tomorrow if ya need them.

Ironmike,

Thanks for offer of photos that would be most appreciated. Just in discussions with Sam at TTI and it seems my header may have been jigged incorrectly.

Something must be wrong there...I will shoot you a couple tomorrow after work. Still stuck here for awhile. Tomorrow off at 3. I'll be in my garage all evening, so I'll try to get some good close ups.

Something must be wrong there...I will shoot you a couple tomorrow after work. Still stuck here for awhile. Tomorrow off at 3. I'll be in my garage all evening, so I'll try to get some good close ups.
Hello Ironmike,
Were you able to get some photos?

Regards, Chris

Shoot, man. Tried with this lousy tablet and couldn't get crap. I sorta forgot about it, thought you had it worked out.. I am off tomorrow afternoon and will get out my camera and get some good ones, hopefully.

Shoot, man. Tried with this lousy tablet and couldn't get crap. I sorta forgot about it, thought you had it worked out.. I am off tomorrow afternoon and will get out my camera and get some good ones, hopefully.
Here you go Chris. About the best I could do underhood....I can tell ya I have at least a quarter inch everywhere. Maybe header part number is different.... not sure.

Hope these help a little.
h1.jpg
h2.jpg
h3.jpg
h4.jpg

Here you go Chris. About the best I could do underhood....I can tell ya I have at least a quarter inch everywhere. Maybe header part number is different.... not sure.

Hope these help a little.View attachment 1715018579 View attachment 1715018580 View attachment 1715018581 View attachment 1715018582
Thanks for pics,

Just to be clear, you are using Mopar w2 race heads, TTI step w2 headers, and a quick time scattershield? Are you using block saver plate also? Is there a pn# stamped into header flange? Thanks for help. How close is your #5 tube to solenoid?

No no no W2. Indy/RHS. Stock type LA. QT and block plate yes. They are stepped.

There's where the difference is. I didn't see you were running W2's. I thought they were the same design with just the flange different. ...

No no no W2. Indy/RHS. Stock type LA. QT and block plate yes. They are stepped.

There's where the difference is. I didn't see you were running W2's. I thought they were the same design with just the flange different. ...

Thanks for info. Sam from TTI is sending me a replacement drivers side header. After comparing photos he agrees something is definitely not right with mine. So far the customer service from TTI has been great. I'll keep you all posted.

-
Back