Mini tub question

-

FJ5

Reaction score
My 70 dart is still in body shop jail as the warden wont release her...Here is my question (since i cant look at my car). Can you mini tub the car without moving the frame rails in or moving the trunk hinges? The car is not painted yet so now is the time to do it. It is only money.. please give me your .02

The only thing you are moving is the inner fender well to the frame rail. The actual frame rail stays where it is now. The trunk hinges need to be reworked and re attached to the inner fender well after yo move it. The trunk lid should be removed when doing this to take the weight off the hinges etc.

Oh and YES this should be done right now before you paint it!

you dont move the frame rail or the trunk hinges. you cut the wheel well up the center and move them along side the frame rail there is a small lip on the frame rail that attaches to the floor pan that you trim so the wheel tub will sit flush against the frame. the trunk hinges get cut off the wheel tub and then reattached to the tub when done.

rearsuspension004.jpg

rearend013.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

some more pics never took the decklid off . Nor did I removed the cross braces behind the seat. If I were to do another I would cut the floor square from the inner to the rail. It would have been less work.

Attachments

• 18[2].jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCF0163.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 429
some more pics never took the decklid off . Nor did I removed the cross braces behind the seat. If I were to do another I would cut the floor square from the inner to the rail. It would have been less work.

Had someone else do it?? Sorry I couldn't resist myself. Just messing. :D

There are several ways to skin a cat. I work by myself and I am a big fat guy so I had to take off the trunk lid..... lol I guess I could have put a stick under it. I however have only done 1 minitub in my life time. I am sure others have done a whole bunch.

do you have to move the leaf springs in?
Moving the springs in is called a 3 inch spring relocation.Bill Rielly and also Mancini,s sells the boxes and rear hanger kit for doing this.You,ll also have to move in your spring perches.This will give you full advantage of the minitub.Here,s a couple pics from my minitub/3 inch spring relo.
View attachment car pics 66 Dart 043.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 051.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 055.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 085.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 088.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 097.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 094.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 092.jpg

View attachment Summer 2012.JPG

-
Back