Mini tubbing question

-
You won't lose it if you want to keep it but you will have to modify the seat frame and the drop down part to clear unless you don't plan on putting it down.

here's some pics of the tubs in my M-Code 69 Cuda when that car was converted from street to a drag car. i'm having all that removed and the car returned to OEM structure and design by American Metal Direct in Georgia. i don't know if any of this stuff will help you but here it is:

drivers rear tub1.jpg

inner quarter pannel to replace 3 AMD.jpg

passenger rear tub3 amd.jpg

passenger rear tub1.jpg

a current pic5.jpg

and remember this will alter how your trunk lid will open on a dart because the brackets will hit the mini tubs , may work for a sport . just somthing to think about . dartman 440

I was told by Calvert that I would need a different set of Cal-Tracs if my car was mini-tubbed. I'm not sure what the difference is but I'm sure they'd be glad to tell you.

I was told by Calvert that I would need a different set of Cal-Tracs if my car was mini-tubbed. I'm not sure what the difference is but I'm sure they'd be glad to tell you.

That's what I heard too. I just can't figure out why?

I mini tube my Barracuda and my back seat folds down. Last test fit before I reassembly everything. Took a lot work to make it happen but can be done. It will have full panels in the fastback area, you will not see any tubes. I will look factory, sorry I dot not have any pictures of that yet.

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_5238.JPG

IMG_5240.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

fullsizeoutput_171f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1720.jpeg

That's what I heard too. I just can't figure out why?

Because the spring rate needs to be different. When you do the 3" relocation you move the springs 3" further away from the wheel, so, the "lever arm" acting on the springs is 3" longer. The same force acts on the wheel, but it gets multiplied by the longer lever arm, which increases the force at the spring.

As for the fold down seat, on a Duster you will have to make a bunch of modifications. The seat corners probably won't need modification, but you'll have to modify the brackets to allow them to stay in the same place (because they'll no longer sit on the edge of the wheel tub, they'll be in the middle). You'll have to modify the fold down panel, but that's not all. You'll have to modify the pass through sheetmetal brace that screws in, as well as relocate the braces that reinforce the floor hump as well.

Here's the brace on the axle hump, these will have to be moved in with the wheel tub
10-jpg.1714970308.jpg

Here's the lower seat mounting bracket, the tub will have to go completely behind it. You'll basically end up with a flat bracket that has a couple of nuts.
11-jpg.1714970309.jpg

The upper brackets will have to be reworked as well, but just the bases where they attach to the tub. They should be able to stay in the same location. And here you can see the metal pass-through panel, that will obviously have to be shortened to fit the new width between the tubs
3-jpg.1714970312.jpg

The center panel will have to get cut down to match the new width as well, here you can also see the reinforcements that will have to be moved.
4-jpg.1714970313.jpg

The rest of the mini-tub should be fairly standard, you'll have to cut down the trunk hinge supports but that's true for every mini-tub.

The front mount on the on the regular caltrack kit has a bolt that would hit the edges of the the inboard spring box on the 3 inch relocation kit so they weld in a sleeve, you can easily modify yours existing set.
You will also likely have to do a a bit of extra trimming to the relocation box to get them to pivot without interference.

Great info guys! Thank you so much. I think this is everything I need to make this work. I have a bodyman friend who mini tubbed his 70 Dart so we are well on our way now. My car is just way different than his non-folddown car.

I mini tube my Barracuda and my back seat folds down. Last test fit before I reassembly everything. Took a lot work to make it happen but can be done. It will have full panels in the fastback area, you will not see any tubes. I will look factory, sorry I dot not have any pictures of that yet.

Is that a 315/60/15 radial on the back? Great looking car! I would love to be able to run a tire that big. Did you lengthen the wheelbase too?

-
Back