mini tubs

-

el5dart

Reaction score
im not exactly thrilled at the finished look of the us car tool mini tub kit and i was wondering has anybody tried this technique demonstrated on the challenger in this video on an a-body? it sure looks like a much cleaner way to do it. if only someone would make a die and stamp a wider inner wheel tub like they do for 1st gen camaros i would be on cloud 9. anybody have any experience on the cost estimate on a die for a one piece inner tub?

Rub-a-dub Mini Tub

Last edited:
It wouldn't let me watch the video.

I've only done it the old school way using a 4" strip of tin.

If you are care full cutting the factory tub s out and trimming them once they are off it give you a nice seam to re-weld to the car. then just cut the trunk brakets a little shorter, weld in your 4" strip, re-attach trunk brackets, seam seal and paint.

Now I have played around with seam sealers. THe last time I did it I used autobody urethane or epoxy of some sort to seal the seams. I had it laying around from a nova I was working on I figured it would look the same but be stronger. I solid welded the seams anyhow.

i wonder how close the bottom of a 50 gallon drum would be?

yeah, how are you going to use that to mini tub a car.

You either need a strip of metal or a pre-made bent piece

thats too bad you cant watch the vid. its a good one.
its season 2 episode 7 on power nation tv show. i couldnt find it for you on youtube.

has anyone watched the video?

55gal drum is not minitub anymore it would be more like this
s-l640.jpg

i took a screen shot for you. maybe you can get the idea from it.
mini%20tub%202_zpswuseoelf.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, how are you going to use that to mini tub a car.

You either need a strip of metal or a pre-made bent piece
The idea would be to take the bottom foot or so, cut it down to size and use it to replace the existing tub

Basically the same way the US cartool version works

I made my own from 13ga. sheet metal. It's not that difficult and you can keep the outer wheelhouses multicurved arch without messing with the well to well flange.

20150607_192842.jpg

20130902_133423.jpg

20150607_192842.jpg

The idea would be to take the bottom foot or so, cut it down to size and use it to replace the existing tub

Basically the same way the US cartool version works

Now I see what you mean by the bottom

i have an extra car i can cut the inner tubs out of. i will be trying the aformentioned technique on my project. it looks very clean, less welds, and as close to factory as i think it can. ill let you guys see it if when im done if it will work on an a-body. the idea was to leave 2.5 inches of material from the original inner tub still atached to the outer tub, then weld one seam to it with another new or used inner tub. it would be 100 dollars more to buy new amd inner tub over the USCT strip of metal and a lot nicer. i could actually fab up the USCT style for 0 to5 bucks. i was already aware i could cut the bottom out of a galvanized trash can and make my own homemade already. but since i have a donar car i can try this for free. just time and welder wire.

-
Back