minibike

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Anybody here remember askuza and taco minibike kits in the 60s and 70s ? I am thinking i want one of these again. Used to have one in the early 80s. It was shot, but i rebuilt it. Had a brigs horizontal shaft 3.5 hp one lung engine in it. Now im going out on a stretch and wanting to find one of these again, and this time i want to put a16 HP brigs vanguard OHV V Twin on it. Am i tim tayloring this, or is it too much power lol.

Whats your take on it

I think you would be better off working a 5 horse up. Less weight. You can get the 5hp to scoot along pretty good for not a lot of money.

I had one of the sears models a long time ago that I put a 2 stroke 175cc on it and I couldn't keep the front end down till I put a 30lb iron weight on the forks.
After that if I sat up as close to the gas tank as possible, I could burn that little tire for a block easy.
I lived in a small town where the main street was bordered by forest, so whenever I saw one of the local sheriff's I could jump off on to a deer trail and be gone.

Brings back memories.
Took my Mom to supper last night. She had found an old photo of my Brother & I on our
JC Penny Foremost Mini-Bikes.
We were like 10 & 11 at the time.
That's where I started to learn how things worked. Like replacing the governor spring with a solid wire would almost double the HP!
Fun times.

I still have a thing for Mini Bikes.A guy that lived up the street from me had a bunch of Taco's,Minitrails,Rupp and Fox to name a few.Over 40 in all.I sold him my Honda MB5 just days before he moved.I almost traded for a Taco but the point was moot as the Honda was just a dust collector.It was tough but I passed.I think the 16hp V is do-able. Go for it.

Harbor freight has 7 horse horizontal shaft motors for 129. I had a coupon for 99. Going on this.

Attachments

• minibike 007.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 370
The plusses of the vanguard are horsepower, alternator, electric and pull start, overhead valve V twin, and mechanical fuel pump, pressurized lubrication with spin on oil filter. Minuses are weight n cost.

Got a friend who put one of these in a cushman scooter, blew away a 1200 sportster with it. So it may be overkill, but i think it will be cool especially w straight pipes

I had a 60 cc CHIBI 2 stroke, went on line and found a blue one 1971 would have been about the time I had mine.

It was QUICKER than a CT 70 Honda that friends had but they got me on top end.

Have been thinking it would be cool to find one now.

There is a yellow/green 1973 Honda CT 70 3 speed in the barn with a little over 1,000 miles. Any time I get it out there are a lot of interest in it.

Mini bikes were the 1st motorized vehicle for a lot of us. My brother had a blue Rupp when I was 6 yr old

You need to come up to Michigan...

-------------------------------

April 28, 2013 from 8am - 3pm is the Old School Minibike Show & Swap at the Ann Arbor-Saline Bicycle Show. It is the largest one day minibike/bicycle show in the country!

You can also enter a minibike or scooter in the show (all makes and brands welcome )

Also a new display area for newer custom bikes.

This years featured minibikes are Harrison Wildcats, Ruttman Pac Mules and Judge.

BURN OUT CONTEST at 3:00 pm! AWESOME show at the Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds.

http://www.oldschoolminibike.com/

----------------------------------------

YouTube Video Link....

[ame]http://youtu.be/TjAss7DtgU4[/ame]

Heres a picture of "Old Blue", the greatest darned mini-bike whatever did live!! It's a Rupp Wildcat, at least thats what parts are on it, and it has been our trusty steed for many years now. Lot-a miles put on it around the track, the Nats, the neighborhood, everywhere!! Get a lot of offers on it but I couldn't ever let it go, just like a member of the family!!

Nella used to love to ride around the neighborhood with Dad when she was little, but I cant hold her and steer the bike anymore!! I'm not ready to let go of that memory just yet!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_4868.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 953
Well, the minibike thread inspired not only me but my son Ian. Enclosed is a picture or 2 from this past weekend...his first solo ride EVER!!! He has been a little apprehensive about his maiden voyage, but now he's Mr. "Blue"!!! Still can't start it on his own, but he's working on that!!

Another memory for the files!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_4871.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_4872.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 280
Heres a picture of "Old Blue", the greatest darned mini-bike whatever did live!! It's a Rupp Wildcat, at least thats what parts are on it, and it has been our trusty steed for many years now. Lot-a miles put on it around the track, the Nats, the neighborhood, everywhere!! Get a lot of offers on it but I couldn't ever let it go, just like a member of the family!!

Nella used to love to ride around the neighborhood with Dad when she was little, but I cant hold her and steer the bike anymore!! I'm not ready to let go of that memory just yet!!! Geof

Don't EVER let go of the memory....

Had a mini bike when I was a kid, don't remember the brand. Neighbor had a little cart. My Dad had a 10hp Generator that he was not using for his business.....needless to say what got mated together :D That thing absolutely hauled ***. Of course the brakes were non-functional so.....

Something for the balance challenged....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2D2fP6yBzU"]WORLDS FASTEST MOBILITY SCOOTER - YouTube[/ame]

Notice the dual rooster tails....must have a "spool" of sorts....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5rkw4SeP4"]70MPH Mobility Scooter in the SNOW - YouTube[/ame]

i have a newer styled one but non the less it can get my 200lb *** around at 20-25 mph with the stock 97cc plan is to start a rebuild on it she looks sad i like riding things that look nice i do plan to put a 6hp on her, when i got it i didn't think my 24yr old *** would have fun riding but damn its just plain fun

Well, the minibike thread inspired not only me but my son Ian. Enclosed is a picture or 2 from this past weekend...his first solo ride EVER!!! He has been a little apprehensive about his maiden voyage, but now he's Mr. "Blue"!!! Still can't start it on his own, but he's working on that!!

Another memory for the files!! Geof

Ian =D>=D> wow look at you go :hello2::hello2: You sure have grown since our last visit :cheers:

I have never owned one but enjoyed some of my friends nice minibikes :happy8:
Outstanding picture Geof :thumleft:

-
Back