Missile's new front spoiler

-
Retsud043,
as I said earlier in the thread it is my intent to buy another bumper and graft the missing pieces into the one you see, completing it. 20ga is way to light and I have no tools to shape the appropriate thickness steel. In this case the pieces will have to be shaped exactly to match so the bumper looks seamless.

Oh, not only is the spoiler an effective air dam, but the slight downward offset of the flipped bumper opens another path for air to cool the radiator.
Andrew

NO ****!

Oh fellows thank you for answering my question. That was really informative and explains the soul purpose of why he is doing all that work to the car. Man with guys like you around I won't ever have a question unaswered.

Thanks again!

lol sorry man. I thought your "why" was more "why would somebody do this to their car." Sorry for not understanding the question. Hard to understand the question when all it is is "Why?"

I think filling in the bumper will help a little, but the step on the bumper just isn't going to look right either way. With the bumper upside down the step blends into the spoiler, making the whole thing look absolutely huge (and not in a good way). I think with the bumper flipped right side up the spoiler itself will look more aggressive since it will look more like an individual part than part of the bumper, ie, the bumper will look like a bumper, and the spoiler will be the only thing that looks like a spoiler. Personally I think that will draw more attention to the spoiler itself, which I think is a good thing. It would make it look more like the e-bod racers.

on%20car%20full%20view.JPG

I want to first say to all of those who perceived the assembly as an air dam, BRAVO. you have caught onto the purpose for all the work. When the bumper was right side up it pushed air under the car and the original duster got 'floaty' at about 115mph. Flipping the bumper forces the air up and over resulting in more air flow to the radiator. The spoiler just adds to the effect.
I also added to, and straightened out, the front fenders between the bumper and the front wheels. closing gaps and tying the assembly together. when I put the end caps on and center fill in it will look better.

As far as those that think of it as a cow catcher-- If you're on the road, riding a cow, and I come up behind you--- Get the hell out of the way:-D
Andrew

front fender 1.jpg

front fender 2.jpg

front fender 3.jpg

As far as those that think of it as a cow catcher-- If you're on the road, riding a cow, and I come up behind you--- Get the hell out of the way. Now thats funny

I want to first say to all of those who perceived the assembly as an air dam, BRAVO. you have caught onto the purpose for all the work. When the bumper was right side up it pushed air under the car and the original duster got 'floaty' at about 115mph. Flipping the bumper forces the air up and over resulting in more air flow to the radiator. The spoiler just adds to the effect.
I also added to, and straightened out, the front fenders between the bumper and the front wheels. closing gaps and tying the assembly together. when I put the end caps on and center fill in it will look better.

As far as those that think of it as a cow catcher-- If you're on the road, riding a cow, and I come up behind you--- Get the hell out of the way:-D
Andrew

Now I know why... thanks for filling us in.

It's different. I'm not sure about the Mad Max look. Suggest lowering the front and changing the radius of the corner of the air dam to match the bumper corners.

Now on to Mel's ride---Tell me, will air pass through a roots style blower when its not turning. I've always wondered about the ability to switch a clutch for such an application?

Not much will pass through a Rootes blower that's not turning. But a Paxton, Vortech might pass air. A buddy had a Packard Golden Hawk R1 back in the day. He fitted an air conditioner clutch to his McCulloch blower. At full song, the thing would spool up and howl like a banshee.

And yes I would love to drive that aroun Austin for a while :-D

Good luck. Never been to a city where everyone was in such a big hurry without any clue that someone else was on the road with them. Having driven in Austin more than I cared to, I found the perfect vehicle was a 76 Chebby 4 x 4 Suburban 454 with glass packs, from up north (I liked the effect of scattering rust flecks), with an interior controlled snowblade on the front, all of it painted in Ratrod black, and trimmed like the Death Mobile from Animal House.

"Wanna pull the phone outta yer ear or d'ya wanna swap a lil paint, darlin?"

The radius is slightly smaller than the bumper it is the same as the front of the hood (photo inc.), but I will consider the change, good suggestion. As far as lowering the front I did that yesterday to see how it will look at ride height. I still want to take a couple of inches lower but the current suspension is as low as it will go.

Burnt,
if that is an Arkansas vs longhorn based comment, tis true.
If that is really about say, smart car/ prius comment, I'm having trouble not running over those pigs with my family car. I can't tell you how many times they have caused massive traffic slow downs because they cant even do the speed limit here in Austin. By the way it is open season on those type of pigs no permit needed.:cheers:
Andrew

spoiler 5.jpg

spoiler 6.jpg

-
Back