missing 3rd...

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I'm going thru some personal hard times lately with an ailing parent and on the wkends I try to forget my problems for a little and take the car out for a beating...
I wanted to if anyone knows why the car sometimes does not like to go into 3rd gear.
I've noticed it will do it at odd times no matter if I'm going slow (city driving) or at full throttle (In the city again) if I'm pushing it sometimes.
I just can't figure out why it does it sometimes 3 times in one day and then nothing for next 3 times I take it out.
Thanks to all who may have some input and excuse me if I don't reply asap.
Sincerely,
MAPS

Here's a wild guess;
insufficient clutch departure, unless it also grinds while attempting; then; wrong oil, or bad blocker rings.

But if an A833, then since you say; always and only third gear, then linkage adjustment; which includes a loose 3-4 lever retaining nut. Those buggers like to come loose and make trouble, especially going thru the 2-3 gate.

Here's a wild guess;
insufficient clutch departure, unless it also grinds while attempting; then; wrong oil, or bad blocker rings.

But if an A833, then since you say; always and only third gear, then linkage adjustment; which includes a loose 3-4 lever retaining nut. Those buggers like to come loose and make trouble, especially going thru the 2-3 gate.
Hopefully since the heading states manual transmissions and clutch discussions it's a 3 or 4 speed and we're in the right church.

I'm sorry everybody,
My dad passed away today (Sunday) and it's been a day.

Steve is right, 340 4 speed.
Thanks.
Maps

Shorten up the 3/4 rod 2 turns.

@SSG_Karg
Just making sure, you said to tighten up the rods going from 3rd to 4th.
Or, did you mean (because it's 3rd gear I have a problem sometime getting it in to) the 2nd to 3rd rods ?

Thank you everyone for your great support, in every which way possible.
I don't think there is a better, well structured message board than you folks here.
Sincerely grateful for everything, from day 1.
MAPS

622310DB-96F4-4794-8E42-E5EEBDF2E0B5.jpeg
Sorry for the loss of your Dad.

Thank you sir.

I don't say this because he was my dad but he was truly a great guy a good friend and most important of all. An AWESOME father.
I could not have wished for any better.
I could not have asked for anything more from a parent.
Lastly, there was never a moment that he didn't support, encourage or help me with any asinine thought I had.
Case in point, we live in Montreal, Qc.
Hockey here is sacrilegious, if you don't support the "Montreal Canadiens" you are basically an outcast.
Yet I loved, love and support the Philadelphia Flyers. () Blasphemy lol.
He had no allegiance with any hockey team but because I was a fan he would put on their jersey and walk the streets when we played against them.
I can honestly say he was a devout follower to the point he would get into his own "battles" defending them.... Merely on the merits that I supported them.
I can go on and on about his fondness of being a father.
I have about 80 bulldogs... What mainstream refers to as pitbulls. I've had these dogs since the late 70s when I was a teenager. At one point they had a real bad rap up here and people were telling him how can you own such a dog, dogs, etc.. But he took it all in stride and said if my son loves them then I love them.
He was on his deathbed and he said to me,

(Although I have someone taking care of the dogs, living at my place (which I inherited from him) He used to go up to the farm regularly and feed and take care of their needs when he was still able to.

"Because, they can't tell you what they need, they can't tell you they are hungry so you need to always be there. No such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners."

God I will miss him.

I love you Dad, I miss you Dad and when the time comes we shall be together once again.
Happy Travels ..

MAPS

Just making sure, you said to tighten up the rods going from 3rd to 4th.
Or, did you mean (because it's 3rd gear I have a problem sometime getting it in to) the 2nd to 3rd rods ?
Remove the nut that holds the 3/4 lever on the trans cover. Pull the lever off the stud, give it two turns clockwise to shorten the rod length, reinstall, test.
I recently had a little trouble with mine going into 4th. In my case I lengthened the 3/4 rod two turns to correct it. Fixed.

Remove the nut that holds the 3/4 lever on the trans cover. Pull the lever off the stud, give it two turns clockwise to shorten the rod length, reinstall, test.
I recently had a little trouble with mine going into 4th. In my case I lengthened the 3/4 rod two turns to correct it. Fixed.

Michel Madsen
A.K.A. SSG_Karg

Thanks a bunch my dear Moparite....
I'm so glad I'm not "Stuck in the middle" with this problem...

Be Well. Be Safe.
A friend of Mr. Blond...
MAPS

370BD4AA-3AB6-4C9E-B853-36B2D80284E0.jpeg

I forgot to add that this will happen more often at higher rpms vs lower, could be wrong but I've noticed it usually happens like that... Do you think it can still be the same problem ?
Thank You.
MAPS

PS A well conditioned animal is as good as a well tuned Mopar. In a class all by their own.

In my personal experience, the problem occurred more often during high rpm shifts.

-
Back