Missing bolt hole in my 727

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ok , so I go to install the Cope Racing 727transmission in the 416 68 Barracuda and discovered another snafu. On the drivers side lower 7/16 bolt that bolts the block and trans together, there is no hole in the transmission where the bolt that is suppose to go from the front of the engine into the trans? It is solid aluminum. I can drill it out and tap it for the bolt but I was wondering what is up with that? The 416 uses a 68 340 block and I don't know what year the SB 727 is. I'll check for a date on it tomorrow. Anyone run across this before?

that is the bolt hole just below the dowel?....never seen a 727 without a hole there....but then again...

Ok , so I go to install the Cope Racing 727transmission in the 416 68 Barracuda and discovered another snafu. On the drivers side lower 7/16 bolt that bolts the block and trans together, there is no hole in the transmission where the bolt that is suppose to go from the front of the engine into the trans? It is solid aluminum. I can drill it out and tap it for the bolt but I was wondering what is up with that? The 416 uses a 68 340 block and I don't know what year the SB 727 is. I'll check for a date on it tomorrow. Anyone run across this before?

Yep seen it done it, just drilled it and put a nice bolt, nut and lockwasher through it

Yep seen it done it, just drilled it and put a nice bolt, nut and lockwasher through it
Same with me. Swapped a good used trans in my 73 fargo and .. What's this no hole. The pad is there for it. In our case we didn't care, just a junk truck!

I think I'm going to drill it out and tap it to 7/16" by 14. I wonder what or why this occurred?

I wonder if these could be the 727s that came from the factory behind the slant sixes with the adapter plate? In that case, I don't think that hole would be needed, would it?

I don't know, I never heard of those. This 727 does have a extra threaded hole right bellow where this one should be. That is an extra hole besides the 2 starter bolts.
I wonder if these could be the 727s that came from the factory behind the slant sixes with the adapter plate? In that case, I don't think that hole would be needed, would it?

New to me! The older cases getting harder to find?

Would be intresting to know the case date and numbers.

Last edited:
I'll get some numbers tomorrow. I did notice this case has the threaded 5/16 bolt hole right beside the dip stick tube hole like the early 65-67 cases had?

I always looked for the 66/67 servos and such when building 727's never noticed the bolt hole by the dipstick! Maybe getting to old to remember well.

I first learned of it when restoring a 67 383 GTS Dart. I had to find the 727 case that used the type dip stick tube that was held in with this 5/16 bolt.

I did drill the hole and tap it with a 7/16 x 14 tap and installed a bolt. The number on the trans case is 2466925-2 , the number on the pan rail that I can make out is 2911583. I'll post a picture later.

I'd tap that...

AG_0030_1150_TAP_THAT_t.jpg

-
Back