Missing Dash VIN Tag

-
You can apply for a state issued VIN, check with your local DMV / BMV.

Yes there are several just google it. But I can tell you no matter who you pick be prepared for a lot of paper work and a trip to the State Patrol for a police verification form.

What year?

If the body numbers match the title I don't think there's a problem.

Is the door sticker still there?

What year is it?

73 Dart Sport

Have fender tag and the door sticker.

The original dash tag and title are missing.
I got the car years ago to build a stocker out of it. So I was not worried about it.
After decoding the fender tag I would rather build it back toward what it was.
A 340 snorkel hood, triple black, stripe delete, 3 speed on the floor, bucket seat car.
If I can title it that is

Last edited:
I would build that car to the tag as well! With the body stampings and the fender tag, they may be able to help you out. I have two tags from them.

If the title & dash tag are both gone......

Someone may have used them on another car illegally.

Go through the process for a state issued VIN. If the tag & title are in fact in use on another car it may be confiscated & the dash may make it back to the original car.

If the person that swapped it gets busted in the process, even better.

A state issued VIN may destroy the value of the 340 car.

A VIN search may turn up something, but most are post-1981 only, with pre-1981 being on a state by state basis.

Did I miss where the OP said the title was missing as well?

A state issued VIN may destroy the value of the 340 car.

Without the original VIN, the value does go down.

With a state issued VIN it is legal.

If it turns up with a counterfeit VIN tag, the value drops to way, way less than either no tag at all or a state issued VIN.

A 'source' for VIN tags listed above admitted to making counterfeit VIN tags in a NY court case. If he is still making them for people, he is an idiot.

saw missing title

good luck with all that.

agree it probably went on a clone

what shape is the rest of the car?

If the title & dash tag are both gone......

Someone may have used them on another car illegally.

Go through the process for a state issued VIN. If the tag & title are in fact in use on another car it may be confiscated & the dash may make it back to the original car.

If the person that swapped it gets busted in the process, even better.

This x1000

Yes, the state issued VIN will lower the value compared to having the original VIN.

But the original VIN is gone, that ship already sailed. There’s no point comparing the value of the car with a state issued VIN to one with an original VIN anymore, the original VIN isn’t an option.

The options are get a legal state issued VIN and title, or try and pass off a reproduction VIN as original to get a new title. That last one is illegal, and dirty as hell.

So replacing a missing vin tag is illegal? Even with a duplicate?

The body is in need of repair but it came from Georgia. So does not have all of the Illinois rust.
A past owner, over 25 years ago in Georgia removed the vin tag and kept it and the title.
I have no idea who he is or if he is even still alive.

BUT!

If you actually go through the process for a state assigned VIN, guess what?

The car is inspected by a state cop, body numbers etc.

And once again, if the original VIN & title are found to be in use on another car, that guy gets busted, not you.

If you have a counterfeit VIN tag made & then try for a title, guess what?

You both get in trouble.

Nothing wrong with having a nice Drag car.......just my thought. But as long as you are asking about restoring it to original do a title search to see if you can find the guy who pulled and kept them. Michigan says tag removal is a felony.

BUT!

If you actually go through the process for a state assigned VIN, guess what?

The car is inspected by a state cop, body numbers etc.

And once again, if the original VIN & title are found to be in use on another car, that guy gets busted, not you.

If you have a counterfeit VIN tag made & then try for a title, guess what?

You both get in trouble.
I think I will have the state look at it and go with what they say.

My vin tag got lost (long story). Had the Calif CHP verify my body/vin number and they made and placed a new vin tag on the left door jamb. There wasn't any hassle and they went out of their way to accommodate and help me.

There is nothing at all wrong with a state issued VIN.

20181001_183356.jpg

Same tag differant shot

20181001_183433.jpg

Could some body tell me what it sez?

-
Back