Missing fender tag

-

DartDave

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my psuedo-restoration 69 dart / Hemi clone. It was a 318 2 bbl, auto trans, radio delete, with A/C, and Power steering, and Power brakes.

Can't afford the Hemi, buddy gave me a great deal on a 340, 11.7 c/r, 360 swirl port heads, big cam, etc.

Plan is to have an outward apperance of being a Hemi car, but with LA engine, Manual steering, manual brakes, modern A/C

It did not have a fender tag on it when I bought her, So in the interest of looking original (Not trying to fool anyone)

1 - Would it be dishonest to fabricate a new tag? With the factory options? Like it should have; or as I modify it?

2 - How difficult would it be to do? Anyone have any blank tags?

Again I am in no way trying to pass it off as origanal.

http://www.datatags.com/

http://www.trimtags.com/index.html

There's a couple sources for reproduction tags. I see no harm in creating a new tag when you add 'factory' options to a car that did not originally have them for your own personal satisfaction.

Now the gray area is car shows. I don't participate in them, so I'm not sure how 'ethical' it would be to alter a car and then try to pass it off as an original in a show. I know I couldn't do that.

And if you do make such an alteration and then try to sell the car, you have a RESPONSIBILTY to tell prospective buyers that the car has been altered. If you don't, that would be outright fraud!

Thanks Gotdart, I knew some one out there would see it the same as me.
Not trying to pull a fast one I just want it to look complete.
Thanks again. :salut:

Most (good) companies will require you to send a compy of the build sheet to make the tag from and will only stamp the options that your car came with.

There's one other way to do it and I have seen guys have the fender tag made out the way they want the car.

Then they have the little work CLONE typed into the tag.

that way the everbodys kept happy.

I like a tag that represents the car as built.Adding codes to the tag is just plain FRAUD. If you put extra options on your car,thats cool.If anyone harps about them not matching your tag.....screw em. Build it your way, but don't make it look like it was Ma Mopars way.Your way works good too Bill. I even saw a tag that just said "built by Mrs. and Mr So & So"
CLONE

Now a days, everybody is entitled to thier own opinion, So here is mine. Build it the way you want and don't worry about the tag. If you want a tag, have one made and don't worry about other people.:) My dart was a /6 with 3 speed manual on the collumn. Now it's minitubbed, 340, 4 speed, 8 3/4 with 3.91 sure grip. The interior is black(Don't like it too much) with Autometer Ultralite guages. Crap I think I have too make a tag for myself. That is actually a good Idea to make a costom fender tag, thanks for the Idea!

Great ideas, Thanks Guys ! :notworth:

I really like Abodybill's "CLONE" idea. :thumblef:

I'll sleep on it, but I think that's what I'll do. :salut:

I bought my dart with no fender tag, but that 360 sounded soooo good I forgot all about the tag missing. I wasnt looking for original just a fun car. but the custom tag sounds cool.

I went through Barry Washinton and the Hamtramck registry. I wanted a tag the matched the car as new even though I was going to mod it... my engine bay jsut looked naked with those two holes sitting there. He prefers to use a broadcast sheet or bill of sale which I have neither of. But he did it for me with a few hundred pictures showing factory original paint in the floor pans the braces for the bucket seats and the vin etc. My car isn't highly optioned though just odd being column shift auto with buckets.

-
Back