Missing kickdown linkage...

-

Down Shift

Reaction score
I'm working on getting my '73 Dart Swinger on the road. I bought it after it had been sitting for ~13 years (according to the PO). I did all the stuff that needed to be done and got it running. Now I am chasing the odd problems I am finding. The car has a built 340 and a 727 transmission. There is no kickdown linkage. There is a spot for it on the throttle cable bracket. I suspect it might not be there because there isn't much room for anything with the old style headers that are on the car. The transmission does appear to have a shift kit, but it is not a full manual valve body. I guess PO just down shifted manually when needed?

Are there any dangers to the transmission running without a kickdown linkage? If so, any idea for a place to start sourcing the bits? I thought I read that a cable system could be used in place of the linkage?

Thanks!

Matt

I'm working on getting my '73 Dart Swinger on the road. I bought it after it had been sitting for ~13 years (according to the PO). I did all the stuff that needed to be done and got it running. Now I am chasing the odd problems I am finding. The car has a built 340 and a 727 transmission. There is no kickdown linkage. There is a spot for it on the throttle cable bracket. I suspect it might not be there because there isn't much room for anything with the old style headers that are on the car. The transmission does appear to have a shift kit, but it is not a full manual valve body. I guess PO just down shifted manually when needed?

Are there any dangers to the transmission running without a kickdown linkage? If so, any idea for a place to start sourcing the bits? I thought I read that a cable system could be used in place of the linkage?

Thanks!

Matt
there are a few - start w/Lokar

keep driving without the kickdown linkage aka..throttle pressure linkage and you will be rebuilding the trans....the throttle pressure linkage control the line pressure in the clutch pac to increase line pressure as needed..

keep driving without the kickdown linkage aka..throttle pressure linkage and you will be rebuilding the trans....the throttle pressure linkage control the line pressure in the clutch pac to increase line pressure as needed..

And this is exactly why I asked. I figured it was a bad idea.

So, I guess I am ordering this:

Lokar KD-2727HT: Chrysler TF-727 Stainless Steel Kickdown Cable Kit Brushed Finish Aluminum Fittings and Ferrule | JEGS

Is there anything else I am likely to need to install the cable?

Thanks!

Not to hi jack, wondering myself - do the lokar cables (or others) serve the same purpose as the linkage in that they also keep the correct line pressure?

Not to hi jack, wondering myself - do the lokar cables (or others) serve the same purpose as the linkage in that they also keep the correct line pressure?

Yes, the Lokar cable does the same job as the stock linkage.

Other than having to work around the headers, mine went in pretty painlessly. It works fine. I have only taken it for one short test drive, but it did kick down when I hammered on it at speed.

Bouchlian or Lokar. I just put a Lokar on mine. Works great. Pretty easy to install. Just takes a little adjustment. With the throttle WOT the lever on the trans should be all the way BACK. Boom.

-
Back