Missing rubber bushings in springs?

-

Reaction score
I am also replacing my springs, and the new springs only have the rubber in one end (The larger end). The other end is just bare metal. Is there a way to remove the rubber out of the old springs and reuse them? The rubber is in good shape yet.

Thanks!

Should be two halves. Just work em out. Bushings are cheap though. If it's worth doing it's worth doing right.

your best bet is to buy new bushings, im guessing thats what your talking about. Go online and look at energy suspension i know they have rear leaf spring bushings kits kiddo.

Well... How important is it that I get new parts? I was just going to swap everything over, but im noticing those U bolts to be a real pain to get off. Maybe I should just get new parts and sell my whole 8 1/4 as is? I guess it would be less hassle? Do you know what I could even sell the 8 1/4 for? It has 3.21 gears.

Man, are all those U bolts so hard to get off? I had to use a breaker bar for all 8. I don't know if it's all cuz of road grim or what? My right arm is toast!!

The 8 1/4 is open, I think. 4.5" bolt pattern. With the 3.21 gears, the car moved out pretty good. Id just like to get an idea what it's worth, so I could get it on Craigslist, or whatever. I could use the cash :)

Yeah old U-bolts are always hard to get off. Buy a good impact. You'll never regret it.

Unfortunately a open 8-1/4 isn't worth a lot. Even though their good rearends people are all hung up on needing a 8-3/4 even behind a slant 6. In my area an open 8-1/4 with 3.21's is a $100 rearend. If they have hwy. gears you can't give them away. Maybe see what some others say though as prices do vary with region.

Hmm? Maybe I should keep it then in case this 8 3/4 doesn't work right or something?

If you look closely at the nuts on the U bolts they are specials. It's called a scored nut. To tiny dimples in opposing sides shop where it was put in a press and distored to slightly oval shaped.
So when they go on with speed they heat up and expand a tad. Once tight and cooled they contract again meaning no lock washer required and no chance it will loosen.
If you use a good penetrate to cut through the crud on the threads and a strong high speed impact that will generate some heat in the nut, it will come off. If you simply start twisting with a socket and breaker bar you will twist the leg of the U bolt which degrades the integrity of the steel. Either way though, those U bolts aren't supposed to be reused. I know, Lots of people do reuse them. I wont go to all this effort to save the 40 bucks. I cut the old U bolts with a torch or die grinder. Then me or no one else is gonna reuse them.

I did notice that Redfish!! Now you tell me what it means! :p I took them all off by hand. One of the U bolts is bent. At least I got the shock plates. Maybe I will get new U bolts.

I did notice that Redfish!! Now you tell me what it means! :p I took them all off by hand. One of the U bolts is bent. At least I got the shock plates. Maybe I will get new U bolts.

Once the leg of the U bolt is bent or twisted the pitch of the threads is distorted also. You probably wouldn't get a nut all the way back on again. Good luck

-
Back