Mistake made now no power when turning key. Help needed.

-

Srfjay

Reaction score
So I picked up a 72 duster but none of the gauges worked. So I got a replacement cluster to install. I made a mistake and forgot to disconnect the battery and shorted something out. Now when I turn the key nothing happens. No lights no power nothing. Checked the fuses and they seem to be good. Any suggesting on places I should look? Seems like no power is getting to the ignition switch. Thanks guys.

Check the fusible link under the hood. I'd say you likely blew it. NAPA and others have replacements. Might be the voltage limiter on the dash cluster.

Pulled a couple photos off the web. It may look like these. Usually located either high up near the firewall wiring between the master cylinder and wiper motor area-ish or near the starter relay depending upon if people have modified the wiring at all in the past. It may not say Fusible link on it clearly.
View attachment fuse 1.jpg

View attachment fuse 2.jpg

The above. What you are looking for connects to the starter relay stud and goes to the bulkhead.

Thanks for the speedy respond guys. I will check that out in the morning.

may also check your ammeter connections. one time I was at the drive in theater and turned the key to find... you guessed it. no power to anything. turned out the connections on the back we're loose. wiggled em around and then boom power to everything just like that.

-
Back