Mixing oil viscosities? open can of worms

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I know this will start a (why would you think of doing that replys) But my 273 has somewhat low hot oil pressure at idle. VR1 silver bottle is only sold as 10W30 and 20W50.

I would like to be in the 10W40 or so range...and VR1 is not made @ that weight. Only driven between april-november in ohio 30-98 degree range ususally. I don't really like the idea of just using VR1 20w50 because of cold temp startups. And VR1 should have enough ZDDP.
OK, let the bashing start:protest:: ::banghead:

How low is the pressure at idle when hot? It may be fine.

That's kind of like saying you would prefer 50-50 sea salt and regular salt.
It'll make so little difference in anything it wouldn't even be worth the time it takes.

Unless you just want something to do, then...

I say use the 20-50 and be happy also. :)

Tech857 has a valid question, but then it really doesn't matter does it?
Either it's so low that 20-50 can't save it, or it needs more help than thicker oil.

OH, almost forgot your can of worms. :D

Attachments

• CanOfWorms.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 222
I mix oil viscosities often to get to the proper oilpressures I'm after when I don't have the correct oil weight in stock.

Not once has my car complained when I mixed oil....

We are talking about cars/engine from my generation. Years ago the norm was straight 30w, even straight 40w or 50w was used often. I always get a chuckle when I read threads about 20-50 being to thick. But then I live in Fl. too.

I used to run 20-50 in my old 74 Valiant 318. It really worked the battery and starter when it was cold out so I switched to 10-40. I say mix away as long as its the same brand and grade oil.

5w40 t6 Rotella mixed with 10x40 Accel old car oil (Walmart sells it, cheap, higher zinc level) and a few ounces zinc additive. Im sure there are lots of oil recipes on this forum!

Hell I remember back in 1975 when I worked at a local chain auto parts store, there was a guy that would come in with a 396 Impala that smoked and leaked oil something fierce. He would buy qts of 90 w rear end oil and poor it in his Chevy! He did this for quite a while.

........1 of my friends uses whatever is handy at the time, no matter what brand or weight or if its dino or syn......and forever....kim.........

That's plenty of oil pressure. Wanna see how much it is? Take the sendin unit out while it's runnin.

What's the pressure at 2K RPM drivin down the road? You're makin a mountain outta a molehill here. Run a good quality oil and be happy. Stop tryin to reinvent the wheel.

-
Back