MLS head gasket question - gurus?

-

Lil Demon

Reaction score
I am building a 340, I have the X heads, and SRP forged pistons that will give me 9.8 compression. What thickness of head gaskets do I need to get as close to 10.5 compression?

I haven't installed them yet. I am thinking of just taking it back to the machine shop and maybe doing some decking or just resurface the heads enough to obtain the compression ratio I am after.

You need to know all the dimensions to figure the actual compression. Regardless of your final compression number, you really want to make sure it's calculated, not assumed.

You need to know all the dimensions to figure the actual compression. Regardless of your final compression number, you really want to make sure it's calculated, not assumed.

Exactly. Those pistons may be rated at 10.5 to 1 but they will only give you 10.5 to 1 compression if they are a certain height in the deck and the head chamber volume is at a certain volume. You need to check these things before you do anything else or your just guessing and may end up with 9 to 1 or 12 to 1 compression ratio.

Point taken, that is why I chose to take it to the machine shop. I discussed it with them and they will measure deck height and chamber volume do determine where we need to be. Thanks.

-
Back