MODTOP Billys old Cudas

-

MODTOP-Billy

Reaction score
I could use anyone suggestions to help me with these cars. Any display suggestions? I am getting these cars back out and hitting mixed car shows, I could use help making my Mopars stand out.
You cant hurt my feelings I have heard it all with that flower top car LOL most say it is not original and there is the build sheet and original window sticker, copies of course originals are in safe.
mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg

mod3.jpg

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

Beautiful cars. Congrats. I would love a modtop car. I know of an A12 clone with modtop. I wish I had the money

I could use anyone suggestions to help me with these cars. Any display suggestions? I am getting these cars back out and hitting mixed car shows, I could use help making my Mopars stand out.
You cant hurt my feelings I have heard it all with that flower top car LOL most say it is not original and there is the build sheet and original window sticker, copies of course originals are in safe.
View attachment 1716063564

View attachment 1716063565

View attachment 1716063566

View attachment 1716063567

View attachment 1716063568

View attachment 1716063569
Welcome. Got to love those Mos Tops! (and Floral Tops if you are a Dodge guy)

I too love the Mod Tops, and yellow is my favorite. I remember as a teenager, seeing one in yellow in our local Plymouth dealers show room. Loved it them, love em now. If you ever have it in the Charlotte area, please let me know. I would love to see them both.

WELCOME!!! Those are some beautiful looking cars. I was given a suggestion from a friend who is a photographer for a couple car mags last year. Leave the hood closed for at least part of any show you go to. This gives a person (or photographer) that chance to see the car as it was designed. It lets them see the lines of the car as they were intended to be seen. Then a little later, open the hood if you want people to see that area. I had never thought of it, but thought it was good advice.

You've got a couple great Barracuda's. To keep things simple, a single large display board incorporating all of your documentation in one spot for each car. Visit a couple local sign shops for their input.

You could put some old playboys in the trunk on display instead of all those brochures.

You could also put on some spinner wheels, drop it a little bit and add some led lights underneath the car.

Would definitely garner your some well deserved attention….

Ps- amazing cars you have there. I love the mod tops. I’d love to have me that 69 Rallye Green Mod top dart that has been going around the auction block one day.

Thank yall so much for the thumbs up and comments.

And the comment about keeping the hood down and one "poster board" type display is EXACTLY what I was hoping for.
I have been working on that and have an idea for the design. The yellow car under the hood is good but the red car paint is 31 years old and under the hood is nice but not show quality. I was thinking these framed ads that are 12-14 inches high holding up the hood they tell a little about the car and hide the firewall.

I typically do keep the hood down until I see the Judges starting or they announce open your hood and truck or score a zero. I actually do not like judged shows as much as fun runs and cruise ins. It was a trunk or treat at our church we did a his/hers type set up and it was a hit so I got off my tail and built a new garage and now can keep them like they should be. It is nice to clean them up and a week later they still shine.

I have had these cars some over 30 years and for the past 10 they been minimum use and might as well say in storage, in barns and car ports but I kept them.
I was offered or offered up the conv for a whopping 10k about 20 years ago, glad I said no, the wife can't drive the yellow car and not get an offer on it.

We doing a Shriners show this Saturday at a local Chevrolet dealership, we will have fun that is the main thing, get then out and enjoy them. Life is a vapor and mine is 110 octane!

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.

So with cars that look like THAT you're here askin US for "better" ways to show your cars? That's funny. Those cars show themselves. They might as well be a couple of hot nekkid blondes.

Last edited:
Hey rustyratrod I like your smart men statement sooo true!

I need all the help and advice I can get, Me not really that smart. The only smart thing I have done is hang on to as much as I can as long as I can.
And I flipped over from Mustangs to Barracudas in the late 80's

These cars were done a LONG time ago by me and the wife we did it all paint, body work, disassembly / reassembly cleaning everything except that flower top I did pay someone to install it and the headliner a local shop (legendary sewed it all up). It is my goal in this hobby to make the cars as nice as I can, as cheep as I can. The red car was done in 91 the yellow one in 98/99. We tied for 2nd at a very large show in Atlanta the last true Mopar only show at Atlanta dragway. We were on cloud nine we made the top 3 tie or not, the man we tied with was super nice 69 383 real deal "cuda" the owner of this car was spitting MAD bragging he has spent over 60k on rechromeing alone! We did the entire car back in 98/99 for around 10-12k. Never under estimate the power of a redneck that can use a rattle can! LOL After doing these 2 cars and one B5/B5 69 fastback that el dumbo here sold
we enjoy the restoration as much as the driving. I just bought that primmered fastback back from a friend I started it 15 years ago, sold it and bought it back. I will have the trifecta of the 3 body styles, coupe, conv, fastback, I am looking foward to finishing the car but the journey of restoration to me is more enjoyable the the finished product. OK now everyone with a unfinished car will say I is crazy, they might be right.

One last thing I have to share with this group. We have a top teir Mopar restoration shop here in Spartanburg I will not mention his name but he is a very nice and help full man, He has helped me a lot over the years, not cheep but very good. He said something, to him was a put down, but to me was the best compliment he could give. He said Billy you "almost got it right" you need date coded wires, hoses, oil filter and I did one of those battery "fake it" deals with red caps and a Mopar sticker, it looks close. A real red cap battery is like 700 the kit was 25, "as good as I can as cheep as I can" I am not even sure if either car came with a red cap battery and do not care I thought it looked cool.

Please give any and all advice you can. even the wisest man needs advice now and then.
and a wiser man will listen to that advice.

Welcome Billy! I've seen your Mod top car somewhere....maybe it was at the Hayes Mopar show at Atlanta Dragway (R.I.P.) As nice as both of your cars look, they pretty much speak for themselves. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that those $3 plastic trophies at car shows aren't worth all the anguish folks put themselves through to get one. I have a box full of those things that I picked up with my 71 Challenger conv. , but honestly...I'm more proud of the trophies and timeslips I got at Mopar shows held at dragstrips like Atlanta, Rockingham, Farmington and Bristol.

Maybe I'll see you around at a show somewhere. I live up I-26 just over the mountain, on the other side of Asheville. I never tell anyone I live in Asheville anymore! They look at you like :eek: "Uh oh, he's one of THEM!", but I ain't!

I'm pretty sure I know the resto shop you're talking about. I've known him for many years. We used to race at Greer back in the day. Good guy....had a nice, blue 68 or 69 Charger.

Again, I love your cars and hope to see them around somewhere. Check the Mopar show listings on this site. Rockingham and Farmington are both coming up soon!

:thumbsup::steering:

I bet those cars have some great history. Telling the car's story is always so much more engaging that facts and figures...

I made myself some message boards f9r the indoor show at MCACN last fall. The issue I have seen is keeping then secure on windy days. Do your research as to what works best. Airborne displays or chances of them scare other owners. My lift off hood sits on the roof. At Mopars in the Park, I had to reinstall it to calm fears of those around me on a breezy day.

Well, it was cold and windy, and it was at a Chevrolet dealership, but it was a fund raiser for Shriners.
We took 2 cars and took 2 awards, 1 was top 20 and 1 was top 3 Mopar. I think they got them backwards the yellow MOD car got top 20 and it is much nicer then the red car but the red car with the top down does look good. Either way thank you for the help, the suggestions, the thumbs up's I did meet a guy with a nice poster board and a nicer green
70 road runner that was the number 1 Mopar hands down, I do not mind being beat by a car like he had NICE is not even close.

Thanks to all of yall again, it is good to feel like we back. your encouragement really helped me.

SST-1.jpg

SST-2.jpg

Go around the corner from you and talk to a fella named Lee Hodges....(Hodges Dodges) he restored both of Arlen Vankes superstocks...duster and barracuda...he is full.of ideas...maybe he painted your cars....nice rides

SIDE STORY I get side swiped easily...

Arlen Vankes HEMI Barracuda will forever wear several bits and pieces Le (not Lee) bought from me when he did that car. I did not tell him but I would have gave him the parts to have this honor. I have known Le before he became famous, he has helped me on both cars time to time when I get over my head but his cars are way way way over the top nicer than mine. He does restoration work for a living, mine is a hobby. He did the gas tank on the red car and that was safe for me to let him do that now it did turn into about 12k worth of other stuff but the car is a lot nicer and safer now. He also bailed me out on striping the yellow car when I cut up the stickers wrong. if you want anything done right he is the man and the Mr. man when it comes to Mopar. He could have said NO go away, but he always has helped me out.

I am making a never made MODTOP fastback it is going to be called a PROMOD.
I have the "slick back" trim for the top. I should have the only one out there.

That is the plan for toady anyways, paint will be Y2 and stripe to match.
Street tires and wheels will be steel and yellow like the real MODTOP.

NICE! 69 SLICK BACK?
My car is a 68 but the buddy that bought it from me years ago fell in love with a old 69 green with the pearl white top slick back I have.
He had to have the slick back top so he fabricated the top trim and did an excellent job too. It is rare to see on a fastback.

-
Back