moisture/sweating

-

340 swing

340swing
Reaction score
Get your mind out of the gutter this is a car forum. I was wondering if anybody else runs into this problem. I live in connecticut and its about 50 degrees today with unbelievable rain. when the temperature goes up after being so cold everything in my garage is soaking wet from moisture. I have the Dart under some sheets those parts are dry but the uncovered parts are soaked. even the engine gets damp. Does this happen to anybody else or is my garage the problem. I assume it's because the metal is cold and the air is warm causing it to sweat. Can I stop it?

It's common around St. Louis also. It's just like you said, the moisture in the air comes in contact with the cold surfaces like the concrete floor and turns to water. The only real way to fix it is to get a good dehumidifier.

It's not just your garage,what did you think you were special or something?:jocolor:
I live in Canaan,CT. and deal with it all the time,when it warms up the covers come off and doors get opened up and I dry them off when time permits.

100_7590.JPG

my car does the same thing some time i can open the hood and just wipe the water off the valve covers,and i have 1 of those things on the roof that pulls air out...

thanks for the reply's. has this caused any problems for any of you. I'm afraid of rust issues.

It helps to put some plastic sheeting on floor under the car to get moisture away from the car. Also if you get one of those magnetic 110v. heaters and hang on engine block or oil pan; it will keep temp in engine compartment above the ambient temp and will keep moisture off engine and related area. Sometimes even a trouble light will get enough heat there.

The worst thing you can do is open the garage door on a day like today. Instant sweat shop. Made that mistake once already this year.

That's the problem my door gets used throughout the day. Everybody comes and goes through the garage. The garage is not insulated either i only happens on days like today when there is a big swing in temps.

It helps to put some plastic sheeting on floor under the car to get moisture away from the car.

I did something along those lines only with old carpet from a freshly renovated house. I keeps the moisture off for the most part and is comfortable to lay on when things need worked on.

My shop does the same thing, cold metal + warm, moist air = condensation. I don't let it bother me too much and am able to keep the shop closed to minimize the effect. Try pulling the cars outside or keep your garage open to equalize the temp.

-
Back