molded rubber instead of carpet

-

ducter

Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked up a k5 blazer and after I repair some rust spots in the floor I was thinking of putting one of them molded rubber deals instead of carpet, has anyone used one? What's your thoughts on them? Did/are they lasting?

Thanks

What do you plan on doing with the K5. If off road only go for it. My truck has that now. minus stuff sliding around its soooo much easier to clean.

What do you plan on doing with the K5. If off road only go for it. My truck has that now. minus stuff sliding around its soooo much easier to clean.

Combination really. I work in the construction field and thought the ease of cleaning would be nice but also would want it to dress it up some. To my surprise, they really aren't any cheaper.

We had 2 of them, and 1050 acres of land to mess with. well actually we had a K5 Blazer and a Jimmy. Both with 350's, 2' lifts, and so one. The only time the blazer got stock is when one of the guys got sideways on a damn, and slid down it sideways into the water. The entire passenger side was submerged. We used my Jimmy, and a Kuboda tractor to pull it out.
Got it back up onto the top of the damn, fired it back up, and took off with it again.

It was a lot of fun, because we weren't afraid to rub against a tree, now and then. With over a thousand acres of private property to play on, we could get pretty wild. Over the years we built 4 ponds that would could adjust the water depth on. Stocked them mostly with brim/blue gill, stocked the largest (11 acres of surface) with bass). we also built a shop, a pole bard picnic shed with a full galley, and a number of other buildings.

The blazer and the jimmy almost never left the property. Hell we never even took the key out of the ignition on the blazer.

...and yes, Ruber floor mats ARE the way to go. Good luck and enjoy the hell out of it. :thumbup:

In my experience rubber mats can trap moisture and destroy floor pans, and by that I mean even worse than insulation/ fabric

Frankie, I hope you never moved. That sounds like my dream.

I thought about that 67, but figured if I sprayed it with an epoxy primer then put the mat in it would protect it, not an expert by any means though so not certain.

In my experience rubber mats can trap moisture and destroy floor pans, and by that I mean even worse than insulation/ fabric

This man speaks the gospel truth......I would go so far as to say rubber mats are evil for this reason! You'll see moisture underneath them 3 weeks after they get wet.

My 89 Suburban came from the factory with its current rubber mat. The only hole is the spot where i rest my gas pedal foot. I've never had a problem with moisture or rust here in the dry climate of Colorado but N.C. might be a whole different ballgame.

I've never understood putting carpet in a truck period. I would definitely go with the rubber mat.

Ribber wasn't a problem for me, at all, in my blazer or my Jimmy. Fact is I had to remove the original carpet because it started to smell after getting wet and muddied up a number of times. Also too for ever to dry.
With the rubber mats, I simply took them out hosed everything off, and out, threw the mates on the roof, and in a couple of hours it was ready to go, again.

btw, back in the day there was a "fording feature". that was available for the K series trucks (after market). It added a snorkel and a stack for he exhaust.

Of course the careful placement and liberal use of silicon around the electricals under the hood and dash helped, too. ;)

I'd roll on some Herculiner instead, I put one of those aftermarket (made in China) rubber mats in a Chebby once, the obnoxious rubber smell goes away after about a couple of months, about the same time it takes for the creases to go away from packaging. All was well for about a year and then the rubber began to crack around the tunnel.
As said before they do hold moisture under them so if the door seals or windshield leaks water will find its way under the mat. Bedliner is the way to go on a work truck or off roader.

I thought about just herculiner or something but the exposed wiring and stuff would bother me to bad plus I wanted something to kind of insulate the flooring from the heat and noise.

Buddy of mine went to a auto trade school and one of the trucks they built they striped all the interior out re routed any wiring and cleaned up the floor so nothing was in the way and sprayed the whole floor with rhino liner/linex or what ever you want to call it. He said you could go mudding all day with the doors/top off and at the end of the day just hose out the interior and it was squeaky clean. If I ever build a toy truck this is the route I will go.

Buddy of mine went to a auto trade school and one of the trucks they built they striped all the interior out re routed any wiring and cleaned up the floor so nothing was in the way and sprayed the whole floor with rhino liner/linex or what ever you want to call it. He said you could go mudding all day with the doors/top off and at the end of the day just hose out the interior and it was squeaky clean. If I ever build a toy truck this is the route I will go.

What he said !

If your going to use it as a toy spray the entire outside of it also, makes it one tough truck.

i had one in my S-10 and hated it if water gets under it there are fiber matts or sound deading stuff in there no where for the water to go. when the smell got so bad had to tear it out. the carpet will dry out or use the bed liner that works the best no carpet no mat just spray it out

-
Back