MOLES . . . the enemy

-

Popdart

Reaction score
MOLES . . . .

. . . I got the little furry SOB's all over my yard this time of year . . . one mound is darn near 3' in diameter and 6" high . . . . :dontknow:

I've tried many weapons on the offensive in the past, just a few are:

* Pellets . . . (I think they like the taste)
* Mole-be-gone . . . (they left got their buddies and returned)
* Bubble gum . . . (yeah right . . .)
* Human hair . . . . (yeah right again . . . )
* A mixture of CHLORINE BLEACH and AMMONIA . . . MUAHAHAHAHA . . . lol . . . you guys know what thats about (that combo could kill a grizzly a quarter mile away but it didn't phase 'em, I think they have little gas masks)
* I put my garden hose in their tunnels . . . (I think they can swim or they have scuba gear)
* I even connected a hose to my exhaust and let it run for hours with the hose in one of their tunnels (I know they have little gas masks)
* Finally I bought two traps, well not traps, it's those little guillotine type contraptions which send about 10 sharp spikes down into the soil. I did get couple with this over a couple of months, but I know their making babies faster than I can kill them!!
* Last but not least is a new concoction of cod liver oil and something of the like which you spread like fertilizer and it supposedly drives them to your neighbors yard (now why would I do that to my neighbors? I like them!!)

Does anyone have any ideas other than claymores, bazookas, or C4??

Rog :banghead:

Grab a cooler, tasty beverages, a lawn chair, and a pitchfork. When you see the ground moving, jab the pitch fork down just above where the movement was. Make sure you don't have to many tasty beverages first though; you don't want to put that pitchfork through your foot.

I have the same problem in South Fla and have tried EVERY scam you have tried. Bottom line is- the Moles eat the grubs and worms in your yard. Get rid of the food source and they will go next door... until the insecticides (granules or sprays) break down. You need to stay on top of it and reapply religiously. Also- it doesnt help if your neighbor doesnt take care of his yard because they will just hang out next door and look for the right time to return.
People use Dylox but I like Sevin because it kills the grubs as well as over 90% of earthworm population plus who knows what else that the moles feast on.... It's about the nastiest stuff you can buy off the shelf at big box stores. See these links:

http://turf.msu.edu/home-lawn-grub-control-products/

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects-pests/products/24-hour-grub-killer-plus

Good luck

57405.jpg

--

We have moles as well. We have two cats that love leaving us what is left of the moles as a gift on our front porch. We also spread Sevin dust too kill their food supply. They haven't been as bad as they were in the past so I think I'm slowly winning................I think.

I know a few guys who have these, this thing will rattle windows about 1/2 a block away, but it's perfectly leagal here. It sounds like someone shooting down your front door with a 12ga.

I gave up on the mole traps that have the sharp spikes that are "supposed" to stab them to death when they trip the trap. Well that doesn't happen. BUT...what I found that did me the most good as far as traps go is the scissors style trap. You can set in seconds and walk away. Last year in this one area of the lawn, I caught 5 moles in 3 days!! I gave up on trying to nuke em. To much money and I don't have the patience to sit in a chair with my pitchfork and wait on them. I bought 3 of these traps and as soon as the ground thaws and I see any new runs, I set the traps and if I don't have one in a day or so, then I know that I've got the trap in the wrong spot of run.

Works for me! My lawn was totally trashed 2 years ago and now I'm down to the point where I catch 5 or 6 all year long and thats about it! You can buy the traps at any ACE hardware and I think Lowes may carry them to but I'm not sure.

Grab a cooler, tasty beverages, a lawn chair, and a pitchfork. When you see the ground moving, jab the pitch fork down just above where the movement was. Make sure you don't have to many tasty beverages first though; you don't want to put that pitchfork through your foot.

I have a neighbor that doees exactly that........with one exception. He uses a 12 gauge instead of a pitchfork. He steps down on the raised earth, sits in a chair and watches for movement and boom. Actually blows them out of the ground. He got rid of all the moles at his place and mine that way.

You got grubs in the soil - kill the grubs and the moles move on. Dog works also....moles don't like the ground vibration from people or animals walking around.

I have the little bastards and I have used poison it seamed to work except i didn't get a chance to put it down before it snowed so know I have to fix my lawn when it stops snowing and warms up

I have a rat terrier keeps all vermin out of the yard. Digs them out and kills them dead. Fun to watch her work.

Yup our rat/jack mix, he catches all sorts of vermin. He got in to a nest of baby bunnies....had to explain that one to my wife....not good...

-
Back