monroe vs kyb

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Are kyb shocks stiffer than monroe? I have monroes all the way around but the rear seems to soft. When I hit some bumps I think the exhaust slightly rubs the shocks. Will kyb shocks improve the ride. Its a '74 duster by the way. Thanks

KYB shocks are indeed stiffer than a Monroe.

I doubt that changing your shocks will eliminate the exhaust rubbing though.

You could actually be dealing with sagging/soft leaf springs.

You could check into a "load-leveller" shock. They will raise the rear a bit and make it ride stiffer. Might buy you some time on the leaf springs.

I'm useing KYB's on all 4 corners and find the ride a bit firmer than regular shocks from the past.

I've got KYB's too and also noticed their pretty firm. Check close to see what is rubbing on the exhaust. Look for a shiny spot and that's a good indicator where it's rubbing. It might be a simple fix without replacing shocks. When I first put my car together the left tail pipe looked fine when I assembled it and even though I cranked down everything good and tight for some odd reason a month later it shifted a little and was rubbing on the shock. I loosened up the hangers and tweaked it a little and tightened it back down and over a year later it's still clearing fine. Go figure.

KYB shocks are indeed stiffer than a Monroe.

I doubt that changing your shocks will eliminate the exhaust rubbing though.

You could actually be dealing with sagging/soft leaf springs.

You could check into a "load-leveller" shock. They will raise the rear a bit and make it ride stiffer. Might buy you some time on the leaf springs.

The leaf springs are about a year old. The original ones were sagging real bad but the ones on there now are fine. It's the rear passenger side that thumps when I hit a decent size bump driving down the road. The guy who put the exhaust on didn't do the best job bending the pipes so nothing would rub. I'll check out this weekened how much I can get some kyb's just for the rear. I just want a more firm ride and hopefully get rid of that thunk.

Thanks

I've got KYB's too and also noticed their pretty firm. Check close to see what is rubbing on the exhaust. Look for a shiny spot and that's a good indicator where it's rubbing. It might be a simple fix without replacing shocks. When I first put my car together the left tail pipe looked fine when I assembled it and even though I cranked down everything good and tight for some odd reason a month later it shifted a little and was rubbing on the shock. I loosened up the hangers and tweaked it a little and tightened it back down and over a year later it's still clearing fine. Go figure.

I'll have to get under there and take a closer look this weekened. Who knows maybe it will just be a simple fix by tinkering with it a little. Thanks for the info.

-
Back