moog offset bushings too big?

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
So my new UCA moog 7103 are 1.182 diameter outer shells, originals are 1.168 diameter.

Arms are for a 1975 Valiant

Is that a safe interference fit? The old ones weren't loose at all in the arm.

I don't want to split the arms forcing these in.

Drive 'em home or put the oldies back?

I noticed that too. The metallurgy compensates. You're good. If you grind the bushings a little it won't work.

Slowly and carefully press in one at a time, making sure they go in strait.

Put the bushings in the freezer for a day or two.

just checking that you're not actually hammering the bushings in and using either the correct tool, or an improvised tool that operates in the same manner of drawing the bushing into the arm with a cup and jack screw arrangement?

beating a set in would likely bend up an arm pretty good.

freeze the bush, heat the arm a little and it should practically slide right in.

Careful when heating the control arm, you dont want to get it too hot. If it turns straw color your starting to get it too hot. I use a boiling pot of water to heat parts. I have an old grill and pot just for stuff like this. Don’t let the wife catch you in the kitchen, lol.

.014 is a pretty big difference for parts pressing together.

just checking that you're not actually hammering the bushings in and using either the correct tool, or an improvised tool that operates in the same manner of drawing the bushing into the arm with a cup and jack screw arrangement?

beating a set in would likely bend up an arm pretty good.

freeze the bush, heat the arm a little and it should practically slide right in.
I made a socket/pipe/threaded rod puller, definitely not hammering anything. Definitely a cautious kinda guy. Much appreciated,

.014 is a pretty big difference for parts pressing together.
That's what I felt too. And that's in addition to the original press fit, which is healthy! When I go to redo this, as I put the original bushing back in, I'll measure the arm.
I'll bet the o.e. is .004, we'll see.

Seems like a lot of work just to get some caster haha

I agree, it's a big difference for a press fit. A normal tight press fit is .002". I've not been impressed with the Moog bushings for some time now. I've noticed the quality of the rubber in them has gone downhill dramatically. Add that to the fact that the offset bushings have really thin rubber on the offset side and it's a recipe that I'm no longer in favor of. I know they are more expensive, but I now recommend a good quality aftermarket upper control arm instead. All of those come with repositioned ball joints for better caster and poly bushings. Just a thought.

Size on size is a press fit. RRR is right, .002 is what I would expect. .014 is an interference fit and pressing into a stamped metal part may destroy the UCA.

I agree, it's a big difference for a press fit. A normal tight press fit is .002". I've not been impressed with the Moog bushings for some time now. I've noticed the quality of the rubber in them has gone downhill dramatically. Add that to the fact that the offset bushings have really thin rubber on the offset side and it's a recipe that I'm no longer in favor of. I know they are more expensive, but I now recommend a good quality aftermarket upper control arm instead. All of those come with repositioned ball joints for better caster and poly bushings. Just a thought.
I have some new aftermarket upper A's hanging in the garage but heard bad things about them (magnumfarce) so there they sit. Also their bushings are solid nylon/delrin and are for the small ball joints which I'd have to shim to work with my later disc spindles (guessing).

My build mantra nowadays is to spend as little as I can and expect small returns.

A full set of standard uca bushings are under $15 including shipping from rock, so I'm leaning that way right now. The bushings are shot, and they're not hard to R&R if the fit is anywhere near stock.

Size on size is a press fit. RRR is right, .002 is what I would expect. .014 is an interference fit and pressing into a stamped metal part may destroy the UCA.

I read a while back about exactly that happening, and hell no do I want to junk these arms. I bought an entire parts car to get them and the brakes 20 years ago!

Update:
Called Moog and had them pull up the chrysler spec, it's 1.17",
These are over 1.18", seems a tad hairy
I asked if they'd had any issues with fitment or customer complaints and he said no.

Gunna buy some normal bushings and measure before I leap this time.

Thanks guys,

-
Back