Moon Landing tomorrow 2-22-24

-
Forgot about that.

Thanks.

Speaking of Space. I read yesterday that a satellite from the European Space peeps is going to plunge to earth shortly. Of course they said it would land in the ocean somewhere, but without guidance how can they say it won't land in the middle of some highly populated area :realcrazy: :lol:

Planned and timed trajectory with compensation for re-entry?

That's kind of with "rocket scientists" do.

Craft is much smaller this time.

Is there a link to a live feed?

Dead satellite returning today
1708538015975.png

A vast majority of ERS-2 will "burn up" in the atmosphere, ESA experts explain. Furthermore, given that the Earth is largely ocean water-rich, chances are for splash down of any remaining spacecraft components.
As for the ERS-2 component survival to Earth’s surface, Nichiteanu told Space.com that the biggest and heaviest fragments that might survive reentry into the atmosphere are the 4 tanks (heaviest), the 3 internal panels supporting instruments (largest cross section) and the Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) antenna structure (largest fragment assuming it does not fragment at all).
5000 lbs of space junk headed our way. 80% of the mass expected to burn up on re-entry.

Is that live mission clock reading 1 DAY 00 HOURS 16 MIN?

Yes, that is the Countdown to Landing on the Moon Clock. They will probably have news casters comentating on the event as it nears the final minutes of the mission to the moon on this live feed.

Countdown to Moon Landing.png

Less than 24 hours to go now.

As you can see the lander's position went from 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock since post #9 as the lander is now orbiting the moon.

Update: 3 hours and 20 minutes to go >

Screenshot_20240222-125533_Firefox.jpg

Putting the Moon Landing just prior to 4:30 EST today.

☆☆☆☆☆

Just heard that.

Normally I would just be getting home but...

Of course today I have to stop for gas, and I really should stop at the bank.

YAY, now I'll make it.

Well crap, no actual video on the feed.

Was there before.

1 min to go.

OK, vid on youtube but not nasa.gov

clock now says 1 hour plus.

Wow, they had to write a sw patch and upload it from Earth.

Oooh, they have snappy, spacey new uniforms-

1708644378345.png

-
Back