mopar 273 rocker swap

-

dust-u

Reaction score
I have just installed a mopar 509 cam in my 340..I have a 273 adjustable rocker set up i would like to use to get a better lifter preload..what else might i need to complete the swap(pushrods) and can someone give me the steps to set this configuration up properly??? thanx moparts..:read2:

I have set in my .528 MP solid lifter cam, 360 Dart Sport. If you have the correct ball and cup style push rods that came with the rocker arms that's all you need. Just make sure you mount the shaft's so that the oil holes for the rocker arms are in the correct postion. I turn 6500RPM's, and I've never had a valve train problem. By the way if you have any bent push rods, Autozone still stocks 273 "Melling" pushrods, cheap!

You cannot use the stock 273 push rods with that cam. The Hydraulic push rods are shorter. So get the right ones and thats all you need.

Babyblue66 is correct, I thinking that a 509 was a mech cam. The mech cam push rod length is 7.342, and the Hyd ball and cup is 7.234 in.
Summit part number (set): sum-G6420 7.234
Melling part number (ea): MPR-157 7.234

509 cam is hydraulic...you will need pushrods for a hydraulic lifter with adjustable rockers...they are shorter then the mechanical lifter pushrods due to the placement of the plunger in the lifter...

hydraulic lifters require preload....

adjust cam in same sequence as solid cam...but adjust rocker to zero lash...and then preload the lifter by turning the adjuster about 1/2 turn.

start engine...if lifter is clacking...re adjust...

watch out if you put too much preload the valve will not shut...and you will have no compression in that cylinder

check rocker arm to valve spring clearance,you will probably need to do some grinding for clearance as the 340 / 360 has bigger valve springs and shorter pushrods will be needed.you can check the clearance before installing the pushrods ,just set the rocker assembly on the engine without pushrods and move the rockers back and forth to check. hope this is helpful

alright..looks pretty straight forward...many thanx...:read2:

-
Back