mopar 360 stroker build short block

-

Gjason89

Reaction score
I was wondering if I can get some help see I got a 84 dodge ram charger engine 360 5.9L engine .was wondering if I can run stock head for a while and get the block part done.pistons will I need bore? new camshaft ? Into a 408 stroker build .1969 dart build.

The heads need some tweaking. The exhaust valves and retainers will have to be replaced because they have rotators on them and can't accept much for additional lift. You'll have to tap and plug the air injection holes. You'll need new springs too, and if the cam's modern then you should have the spring seats cut while they're in there. Then you can run them and all they'll do is restrict output a bit.

It can be a good idea to get the rest of the car set-up for the 5.9 Magnum motor before you actually build the stroker motor.

I will just get the engine rebuilt stock as is just to get it running for now

I will just get the engine rebuilt stock as is just to get it running for now

Wise choice. The stock Magnums can benefit from some classic hot rodding work. Good valve job, gasket match and blend in the valve pockets in the heads, modify the beer keg intake, mill the heads a bit to bump up the compression, throw in a reground cam, careful assembly etc.

Setting up the rest of the car now to handle the stroker engine later is a good strategy.

-
Back