Mopar 440 down on power

-

slim17265

Reaction score
just got 440-6 pack on the road, many problems but although decent power I am dissapointed. here is the set up. 440 stock HP block, heads 516 with 2.14/1.81 valves milled .030, port matched to gaskets, major lump removed from exhaust ports, bowls opened up to bottom of valve seat, Hughes valve springs, Crane hyd lifters, Comp Cams [email protected] intake, [email protected] ex, .467 lift, stock 6 pack ex manifolds through some no name mufflers*noisy) has 727 trans and have yet to check axle ratio but most likely a 3.55, 6 pack with stock Mopar steel air cleaner, have not gotten into unit yet, just trying to stop all the fuel leaks, the car is now running on mostly 87 octane as I do not know how much is in the tank, just added 5 gals of 92 octane, engine does not ping, have mallory electronic distr. set around 2 degrees initial timing plate with hole in it worn out can not read any degrees but light shows around l/8" before hole. car does not really have any more power than the stock engine with 1972 heads (346) 4 bbl AFB and motor home ex manifolds. what did I miss? any clues would be appreciated.

The main thing that I see is the 516 heads, the ports are very small in comparision to the 346 heads regardless of the valve size. They are down some 20 cc's less than the 346's so this is the first power loss. Then the timing would need to be a bit higher than 2*, I would think that somewhere in the 6-10* for starters, but every engine is different so go with what the engine likes. Then I would adjust the carb screws in or out until the engine runs at it's best, smoothest. This will have to be readjusted again later as the engine breaks in. I would do this for starters then let us know what happens.

I bumped the initial to 7 degrees as most of the fuel is 87 octane and adjusted linkage on the end barrels as they were only opening 85%. big change and it seems to be pulling very hard when I shift at 5500rpm...I am going to need to power time this as I do not not how much centrifigal my Mallory electronic dist has in it...is 34-35 degrees about right considering the specs I previously listed. thanx again.

Yes that will be more than enough for the street (timing) and if it pings then retard it some till it stops. I think that the total will be somewhere around 30 though for 87. Glad that it's working for you.

-
Back