Mopar 8 3/4 Clutch Type Sure Grip Case 742

-

340 RR

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the process of determining shim stack on the pinion gear in the dif. I believe I have read that the torque of the pinion nut is 240 ft lbs. In order to reach that torque, is the only way to install the dif back on the vehicle? Is there any way it can be done off the vehicle? Thanks everyone.

Yes , there is a long wrench like tool available that bolts to the yoke with ujoint strap bolts. You could make one out of a long piece of flat bar .

Another question, I have installed both sides of the button with the pin into the central hole between the 2 gear sets. When holding one side of the button flush against the casing, the other side comes out that far. Is that the way it should be? Just want to confirm because I've never done this before. Thanks guys

IMG_9743.JPG

IMG_9744.JPG

Another question, I have installed both sides of the button with the pin into the central hole between the 2 gear sets. When holding one side of the button flush against the casing, the other side comes out that far. Is that the way it should be? Just want to confirm because I've never done this before. Thanks guys

View attachment 1716250254

That is how you adjust both axles from one side... adjustment from the side with the adjuster pushes against the button, which pushes against the end of the opposite axle.

-
Back