Mopar brakes compatibility question

-

Hammer

Reaction score
Ok...so my 71 demon has 9 in drums in the front. But when I bought the car, the guy also gave me some disk brakes(upper A-arms, spindles, rotors, and calipers) that have a 5x4.5 bolt pattern from an unknown car(but to me it would seem the upper a-arms are the same). I'm looking to put some big disk brakes on this thing, but I'm having a hard time figuring out all what is compatible. Obviously the ones that say there for OEM 9in drum spindles I know would fit without changing(for example, wilwood makes a kit for 9in drum spindles), but dont tell you if it keeps the same 5x4 bolt pattern or if it changes it to the 5x4.5). And how would I be able to put some of the other brakes(like the huge ones made for B and E bodies) on this thing? Heres a picture of the brakes in question. Sorry the pictures suck.

Attachments

• dodge demon 005.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 287
  • dodge demon 006.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 311
Well, the post 73 A body UCAs use a larger ball joint, and will be needed to use the knuckles. You can stick with your LCAs, you will need the lower ball joints from the 73+ A body. Get new rotors and calipers and you should be good. There are tons of walk thru's on here.

You have the 2 required parts, the LCAs and the knuckles, for your swap. No need spending cash on the high dollar kits, you just need the last few parts.

Swapping to the post 73 discs will give you the big bolt pattern, meaning a rear end swap or at least an axle swap :)

the "huge" brakes (as you call them) will fit on those spindles (in the picture)as they are the same dimensionally as the '73-'74 challenger spindle. HOWEVER... the upper A arms ARE different from the small bolt A-body cars compared to the large-bolt pattern A-body cars with disc. The large bolt, latter cars used a LARGER upper ball joint that must be used with the associated spindle. Believe it or not, that spindle in the picture can be used on a 70-74 e-body OR a 62-72 B-body.
Here is a web site with some quality set ups for brakes: www.arengineering.com

the "huge" brakes (as you call them) will fit on those spindles (in the picture)as they are the same dimensionally as the '73-'74 challenger spindle. HOWEVER... the upper A arms ARE different from the small bolt A-body cars compared to the large-bolt pattern A-body cars with disc. The large bolt, latter cars used a LARGER upper ball joint that must be used with the associated spindle. Believe it or not, that spindle in the picture can be used on a 70-74 e-body OR a 62-72 B-body.
Here is a web site with some quality set ups for brakes: www.arengineering.com
Ok..so to put the disk spindles on the car, the upper a arms must be the big ball joint ones(like the ones that are with the disk brakes i have). So what of the lower ball joints? Will the ones on my car suffice. Or are the lower ball joints different for the disk spindles? And thanks for the info guys! That Viper/13in rotors kit looks pretty sweet too!

Use Post 73 A body Disc brake lowers. LCAs are the same. The disc lowers have different size bolt holes than the stock drum ones.

I got the wilwood kit, and they have holes for both small and large bolt pattern, but they only came with 1/2 inch threads, and mine were using 3/8 i believe, so i had to buy some new wheel bolts to push through, but i got it together.

-
Back