mopar distributors

-

ir3333

Reaction score
..were there ever stock small block distributors with less than 20 degrees of mechanical advance?

Some of the real HP stuff did, 426 hemi, etc Get into the earlier, say, 64--67 shop manuals, in the back of the electrical section, which shows the distributor curves. Look up stuff like 426, 440, HP applications and you'll see what the curves "were."

BE AWARE these are listed in DISTRIBUTOR degrees which must be multiplied X2 to get "crank" degrees

These are out of the 67 factory manual

This is HP 67 440 without "cleaner air" which would have been the CA package in 67 Note this is 10.5 (21 degrees at the crank) in by 2300 RPM

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ege71s.jpg

Below is 67 hemi. Note this is 9.5 (19 degrees crank) in by 1400 RPM

http://i60.tinypic.com/2zqd2qt.jpg

Bear in mind that ANY vehicle made for the 68 model year or later had to have Federal smog controls, so this began in '66 in the state of CA and for all states in 68. Many people don't believe as in "my car has no smog equipment" but Chrysler did "it" for several years by retarding the spark and by using long, slow advance curves, using vacuum valves in the vacuum advance in some cases, and in '70, some models used retard solenoids on the distributors, and by leaning out the carburetor. Othere "little tricks" included hotter thermostats (up to 195 instead of 180), heated air to the air filter plenum, and faster choke opening.

That is, just because Ma didn't use smog pumps for several years does not mean there was no smog "gear." I actually got stopped (roadblock) in CA in the Navy, and they REALLY did not like my Edelbrock, Holley 800, headers, and Mallory coil. At the time the car had a factory dual point

They just did not care that a V code car with "Air Grabber" does not have carb snorkel heat, and they ALSO did not care that the car, from out of state, never had the evaporative vent (carbon can) system for the fuel tank.

To sum this up "they were assholes." I still have the ticket somewhere, and this was about 1971

Oh, 'n they don't like 4537s in the high beams, either. "Sir, you have aircraft landing lights installed where your high beams should be. You are going to have to remove them."

-
Back