mopar engine ofset?

-

dartmike

Reaction score
so i was working on my 66 dart doing a small block swap and it apears that the engine is offset in the body favering the passenger side am i correct if so how much are they offset ???

Looked into this since I'm going to install my TTI headers and want the engine in perfectly. According to TTI, the early Abody is offset by only 5/8" to the passenger side. Not sure how accurate their info is though.

Due to the manufacturing tolerances the offset may be different on cars of the same type. My experience with TTI tells me that if they say it will work then it will. Naturally if you are trying to do a 4 speed or something odd that they haven't te you are on your own. The offset is designed i to allow for placement of the steering box and column. I haven't used the TTI early A body headers but the ones they make for the 67 and up are a great fit. Tight but no clearence issues at all.

Larry

all mopars of the 1960s and up till the end of the rear wheel drive era around 1981, are off set to the pass side, not sure about pick ups,,because of there steering box design,,there may have been a method to there mad ness,,like balancing the weight when theres only a driver in the car,,,lol who knows why,,,

all the heavy stuff is on the drivers side,battery/steering box/pump/master clyinder etc.youd be surprised how moving the engine and trans affects the weight bias when the car is on computer scales.

I was told by an old s/s racer moveing the motor 1 inch.is worth 100pounds on the scales ?? back 1inch. will take 100 off the front end..

I thought I should clear up the mystery. the engines are set off to one side to minimize the harmonic vibration caused by having the rear end directly in line with the transmission. the other brands either do it also or use an offset differential. I have a friend who straightened his engine up so his blower wasn't crooked coming through the hood and developed a bad vibration. the offset is what we came up with as the issue.

so the small block im putting in is going to be a 4 speed the car is a 66 dart my question to one of the last threads is how does offseting the trans from the rear end eliminate vibration rational thinking would say it would cause vibration.

there are several drawings about this with explanations,basicly there needs to be and angle and a matched angle at the other end to eliminate the vibration,I will try to find the drawing for ya.at the factory they can offset the pinion to any place they want so that's not why they are offset.more I think for driver comfort and making room for shifter linkages steering boxes,weight bias etc.when I built my pro figure eight car I thought the same thing but when I was moving things around on the scales my pop's had a few questions about how I was doing it and pointed me in the right direction about that subject.I can't seem to find the drawing but it's posted here on fabo somewhere
so the small block im putting in is going to be a 4 speed the car is a 66 dart my question to one of the last threads is how does offseting the trans from the rear end eliminate vibration rational thinking would say it would cause vibration.

a perfectly even no angle on trans tail shaft and rear end pinion is not in the best intrest of the U JOINTS,, a mininum of 1/2 a degree is to insure the cup bearing on the U JOINT rotate for lubrcation,,,3 degrees is the most you should have between the tranns and the pinion angel,,

-
Back