Mopar orange box retards timing?

-

512Stroker

We are all here because we are not all there.
Reaction score
Does the Mopar orange ignition box retard the timing 8 degrees at 5200 RPM?
I recently read this and cant comprehend why they would design this to happen.
Do all Mopar ignition boxes retard at the top end?

All transistor boxes do. Any transistorized ignition box has a slew rate of 1 to 1.4 per 1000 rpm.
Until you get away from 1960s/70s technology and step into computer controlled ignition your timing will retard as rpm & loads build.

All transistor boxes do. Any transistorized ignition box has a slew rate of 1 to 1.4 per 1000 rpm.
Until you get away from 1960s/70s technology and step into computer controlled ignition your timing will retard as rpm & loads build.

I have seen on a timing light myself that the LX101 Standard ignition box does not retard timing. Now, having said that, "I GUESS" I could have had a defective one. I have heard other people say the same of the Standard box, though. So I don't know. I do know that the orange box does retard timing just as described and know why. The design is an intentional one to keep detonation down at high RPM.

The box has nothing to due with it. Inherent of transistor engineering. They are not programmed or smart. lol.
It is voltage drop. Some drop more than others. Some may not drop at all initially then will. Design was intentional for the era. Engineers new a transistor box would drop timing as voltage dropped due to load. Great technology and it still is today for street car/driver.

The factory and smart tuners address the slew rate in the distributor curve. So its there, but covered by the advance curve.
Run a MP tach drive race distributor with a 'slow' ECU and the timing stays steady. That's because the heavy secondary spring kept the distributor from internally maxing out at low rpm.
Bill Baldwin shows in a FB video what happens when a locked out distributor is run up from 1000 to 6000 rpm. Almost 5 degrees 'lost'
See if this link works.

And more tech on the subject:
drag race engine ignition systems - Speed Talk

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...mallory-unilite-timing-issue.html#Post2488599

Last edited:
-
Back