MOPAR performance cylinder heads

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
Just wondering about cylinder heads for my 340 stroker build. Which heads are better? I am looking for opinions and real experiences. I have been considering the MOPAR Performance aluminum heads part number P5153849 vs the edelbrock. The engine is a 69 340 4.100 bore, 4" cast stroker crank, diamond forged Pistons, street car. Compression ratio should be around 10.5-1

Can't speak for the Mopar ones.. but i ran the Edelbrocks on my 416 with Diamond flattop pistons with just a "street port job" basically cleaning them up they performed excellent,i have them now on my 360 and they are certainly getting the job done..can't wait to see how they perform with some serious port work..after using aluminum heads i certainly won't be using any steel ones anytime soon..:D:D

On my 410 stroker I have Edelbrock heads that were stage II ported by Ryan Johnson at ShadyDell, a small street roller cam, 10.8:1 compression, in a 3200# street car, it runs mid 10's in the 1/4.

I believe the non Super Commando Mopar heads are re-boxed Edelbrocks.

That's true. There are the commando's and super commandos and then the Edelbrock heads. The Super Commandos are like $900 or more each.

Re boxed eddy's that's crazy! Sounds like the Eddy's are the answer. Is it true they must be cleaned up before installing? I was reading around and it sounds like they may not be ready to "bolt on" out of the box. I was planning on buying the assembled ones.

Re boxed eddy's that's crazy! Sounds like the Eddy's are the answer. Is it true they must be cleaned up before installing? I was reading around and it sounds like they may not be ready to "bolt on" out of the box. I was planning on buying the assembled ones.

I hear you. But the Mopar Super Commandos also can use a little aftermarket work, too. Why is it that manufacturers sell stuff that needs tweaking to fit or work better? Why not just modify the castings? They can just all it a Rev B. or Series II. It's not that they are selling hundreds of thousands of units of this stuff.

I hear you. But the Mopar Super Commandos also can use a little aftermarket work, too. Why is it that manufacturers sell stuff that needs tweaking to fit or work better? Why not just modify the castings? They can just all it a Rev B. or Series II. It's not that they are selling hundreds of thousands of units of this stuff.

You answered you own question, they don't sell enough to re-tool for a motor that is no longer produced.
Tooling is extremely expensive.
I am just thankful that they are making parts for Mopars.
My mag heads I bought were actually decent and did not require any work, but I did dissemble and clean them real good.

Actually, almost EVERYTHING mopar performance sells, is just reboxed stuff.

I'm running the super commandos on my 416 w/ solid lift cam and 10.7 compression getting 544 hp and 583 fp tq. It's a street motor with pretty good manners.

Any mass produced head should be gone through. From what I have read the hardware used isn't that great. A second option is the Speed Master (Pro Comp) heads. Buy them bare, port and set them up with good hardware. Mike at MRL is a good resource for these.

You CAN run them out of the box but it's always best to double check everything. I cleaned mine up a bit myself. I have no flow numbers to compare them to before but the Eddie heads are working great for me. Depending on your goals though reworked iron heads may be a good answer. For me personally I plan on shooting for a 500 hp build down the road and figured I would just get the eddies while I had the money. Plus I really wanted to cut weight on the front of the car.

When i buy my 849 heads, there should be differend valve job than edelbrocks, but i doubt that, i don't check that thing, but those are re boxed eddys, but there is sweet mopar logo on those heads. And when i buy them, (mancini racing), they was same price than eddys, about 1430-,

-
Back