Mopar Retro Battery or Battery with Topper?

-
I never heard a good thing about the repop batteries, other than they look good. I heave a battery topper on mine and most people can't tell the difference. However my hold down wouldn't fit across the top now so I have to find a longer one or make mine fit.

The option of selling the used topper makes it a better investment in my opinion.

No Napa Stores in Town.

Either Sears, O'Reilly, Autozone, Pep Boys, Interstate.

If it has a handle, you cut it off?

If your doing at stock restoration, then the reproduction is the only way to go.
I got mine from turbostart.
Dislikes: Very heavy, kind of pricey.
I keep a trickle charger on mine,most the time. 2 years old and doing fine.
Tip....Have a lighter battery for the street,pop the repro battery in for shows.

Does yours sit for long periods of time requiring the trickle charge or are the batteries inferior?

If I go with the Topper, do need battery post extensions?

https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/103103

Sometimes my cars sit for long periods of time. This insures the battery is ready to go,when you are. Trickle chargers should be used on everything but the daily driver.

The turbostart are AGM which is typically a great design. Probably behave like a deep cycle battery regarding charging. Best way to charge is high frequency smart charger that is designed specifically for AGM which also costs more than an iron core.

I know several people that had bad experiences with the repop ones...I would buy the cover...my 2 cents

I painted my Optima.....I hated the color and didn't want to buy a new battery.

Attachments

• Optima Battery Color Change 007 (Small).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 618
I keep the trickle charger most of the Winter .... in the summer rarely .. never an issue so far .... always started ... if i can get 3-4 years out of it ... i would definately buy another ... I do believe they are reasonably priced ... under 200 ??? if i recall

I found someone with a dead repro battery and bought the caps off f them then epoxied them to a new flat top.

Attachments

• 3046.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 575
i'v had my reproduction mopar Battery ( jell version) in my superbird for 9 years and this will be my tenth season comming up and still going strong!! I had a non jell one years ago that lasted 7 years, so I'v had really good luck with them.

I just got mine yesterday in the morning. It is a red cap Group 27 battery from Turbo Start. I'll see how the Charger like it then I'll see what the Dart takes to. :D

AdamR said:
I found someone with a dead repro battery and bought the caps off f them then epoxied them to a new flat top.

Now that's a great idea. If only someone would sell colored caps.

Grant

-
Back