Mopar Rookie Question

-

Lido M.

Reaction score
Evening all, complete novice here. What carb is this sitting on my 340? Appreciate the help, and feel free to make fun of me. Have a great night!

20220428_183521.jpg

20220428_183524.jpg

Carter, possibly 625 cfm

So that appears to be the 340 is in your Green D100 Truck with probably a 727 automatic behind it ???

That's an early Carter Competition Series. Probably something like a 9636SA 625 CFM. The number will be stamped on the passenger's side front carburetor foot. And yes, like George Jets pointed out, you have a manifold vacuum leak with that vacuum hose run like that. You need to use two vacuum plugs instead.

Last edited:
That's an early Carter Competition Series. Probably something like a 9636SA 625 CFM. The number will be stamped on the passenger's side front carburetor foot. And yes, like George Jets pointed out, you have a manifold vacuum leak with that vacuum hose run like that. You need to use two vacuum plugs instead.

Or use the ported one to the vacuum advance on the distributor.

Thank you, as I said, this is the way I found everything. Have barely dug in yet!

If it is an original early 340 Carter Carb, it is well worth rebuilding. The 68-69 340 cars were a force to be reckoned with. Just ask all the Brand X big block muscle cars that fell to the awesome 340.

If it is an original early 340 Carter Carb, it is well worth rebuilding. The 68-69 340 cars were a force to be reckoned with. Just ask all the Brand X big block muscle cars that fell to the awesome 340.

IMO, it is not. Unfortunately. But that’s OK.
You can tell like RRR said by the stamped numbers on the passenger front of the carb. There to blurry to see. Also, the carb mounting holes are already done for both Holley and Carter intake manifolds.

I have seen some OE Carters with drilled holes for a Holley only intake but it is weird that not all 4 holes were drilled. It’s a mystery to me!

Second picture below is an AVS. Noticed only one hole per mounting pad.

272BA1E0-CD45-4C99-BA9E-8743CE1253D1.jpeg
B3F67E5D-58A2-4A5B-8DE6-851EDB21AC3A.jpeg

IMO, it is not. Unfortunately. But that’s OK.
You can tell like RRR said by the stamped numbers on the passenger front of the carb. There to blurry to see. Also, the carb mounting holes are already done for both Holley and Carter intake manifolds.

I have seen some OE Carters with drilled holes for a Holley only intake but it is weird that not all 4 holes were drilled. It’s a mystery to me!

Second picture below is an AVS. Noticed only one hole per mounting pad.

View attachment 1715919898 View attachment 1715919899
Not original to the engine.
Maybe a Mopar service part?

It's not. See post #12.

Not original to the engine.
Maybe a Mopar service part?
See post #12. Look right in front of the air cleaner lip. There's a plate attached by one screw on either end. It used to be just like this one.
CARTER COMPETITION.jpg

-
Back