Mopar Tuff Wheel horn issue

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
I recently installed a Mopar Tuff wheel on my 68 Barracuda. It is a aftermarket steering wheel and a OE adapter.
I noticed after the install the horn did not respond when hitting the horn button, but i figured I would get into that later.
Took the car out for a test drive and the horn beeps very momentarily when turning. WTF? It does this in a few spots turning R or L, it does not honk not everywhere, just for a moment.
I believe there is a horn relay that gets its ground when the horn button is pushed.
I have not taken it back apart yet, but any ideas on what exactly I need to be looking for to get the horn working as it should?
Thanks

I recently installed a Mopar Tuff wheel on my 68 Barracuda. It is a aftermarket steering wheel and a OE adapter.
I noticed after the install the horn did not respond when hitting the horn button, but i figured I would get into that later.
Took the car out for a test drive and the horn beeps very momentarily when turning. WTF? It does this in a few spots turning R or L, it does not honk not everywhere, just for a moment.
I believe there is a horn relay that gets its ground when the horn button is pushed.
I have not taken it back apart yet, but any ideas on what exactly I need to be looking for to get the horn working as it should?
Thanks

I had this problem. Take off the adapter. On the back you will see a copper ring. There is a post with a small wheel sticking up from the cancellation switch that rides on this ring . Make sure the ring is clean and not bent (use steel wool to clean it) and make sure when the adapter is tightened down, it contacts the wheel on the post. Take a piece of wire attached to the frame of the car and ground to the steering column nut . Horn should sound. Next step are the horns. Use a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the terminal on the horn. Touch it and the horn should sound. If the horns are ok, its highly likely the horn relay is bad. Its located just above the drivers side kick panel.

Here's a pic of the copper ring

3467186_v4.png

Here's the wheel that rides on it.

65_cuda_turn_signal-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I had this problem. Take off the adapter. On the back you will see a copper ring. There is a post with a small wheel sticking up from the cancellation switch that rides on this ring . Make sure the ring is clean and not bent (use steel wool to clean it) and make sure when the adapter is tightened down, it contacts the wheel on the post. Take a piece of wire attached to the frame of the car and ground to the steering column nut . Horn should sound. Next step are the horns. Use a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the terminal on the horn. Touch it and the horn should sound. If the horns are ok, its highly likely the horn relay is bad. Its located just above the drivers side kick panel.

Here's a pic of the copper ring

View attachment 1715932780

Here's the wheel that rides on it.

View attachment 1715932781
thanks, I will check that out

Posting some photos of what you have might help. '68 never had a "tuff" wheel, so, I'm not sure what parts you're trying to mate together. Aftermarket wheels were notorious for not having a good horn connection.

Posting some photos of what you have might help. '68 never had a "tuff" wheel, so, I'm not sure what parts you're trying to mate together. Aftermarket wheels were notorious for not having a good horn connection.

Post #1, It is a aftermarket steering wheel and a OE Tuff Wheel adapter. The steering wheel is identical to a Mopar Tuff wheel.
Post #2, photo of an OE Tuff Wheel adapter

Post #1, It is a aftermarket steering wheel and a OE Tuff Wheel adapter. The steering wheel is identical to a Mopar Tuff wheel.
Post #2, photo of an OE Tuff Wheel adapter
I'm not sure which/who's photos you're referring to, but, there is no factory stuff wheel adapter in 1968.

Here is a 68 column with a tuff wheel adapter and a tuff steering wheel as installed in my 68 Barracuda. As stated,its not factory.

img_0830-jpg.jpg

cudamark, do a search here on FABO for installing a Tuff Wheel on a pre 70 A body.
Then, if you have something to add to the topic of this thread, please do so.

Here's a pic of the spring loaded horn button contact .

If you touch the wire off the steering shaft, the horn will sound.

DwgP9oYDnfftNAs7nXebldeYKiWNKnSkntntMQ5dR8fakPfON4.&owa=outlook.office.com&scriptVer=20220513004.jpg

AND.... Here is a suggestion for you if you really want to spice up the interior.

Here's what I did .

The 70-74 Cuda horn button with the fish emblem works with the A-Body tuff wheel setup!

I think it looks awesome and would have looked great on the earlier Cudas.

p8gP9oYiaqvX10YNp2QMVT4hycgUfFWSosqMznWKK1N3Bfj0qY.&owa=outlook.office.com&scriptVer=20220513004.jpg

Got into the horn issue this evening, found the spring loaded horn contact roller very much out of position.
IIRC the spring loaded roller was encased in a flexable clear plastic housing, what was left of that was at the bottom of the
steering column in pieces.
Looking at the Classis Industries web site they show two possible alternatives
MD2139 or a 2857241. I will take the turn signal assembly out and see which one matches up.

066859F0-725B-4279-8D28-5BA2D2013B1B.jpeg

Last edited:
Got into the horn issue this evening, found the spring loaded horn contact roller very much out of position.
IIRC the spring loaded roller was encased in a flexable clear plastic housing, what was left of that was at the bottom of the
steering column in pieces.
Looking at the Classis Industries web site they show two possible alternatives
MD2139 or a 2857241. I will take the turn signal assembly out and see which one matches up.

View attachment 1715936650

Cool!

Looks like that was your problem!

-
Back