Mopar vs. Mustang essay

-

Kelsey Dana

Scampin'
Reaction score
in Washington state, theres a program called Running Start, where highschool students can attend any college for free (books and transportation are the only things not covered) while still in highschool. i'm in this program, and I just got assigned my first essay. Its a compare/contrast essay, and of course I'm proving why Mopars beat the pants off mustangs. The only problem is I can't do "research" and can only rely on personal experiences and those of people I know. This is where you come in:-D I need topics to compare the two, and so far I have that Mopars are rarer, we have a tighter community, more stylish everything (HIP colors, vinyl, in general more options), and all around more impressive. Since I'm a good girl and have never street raced(...yet) I was wondering if anyone's ever beat a pony car at a drag race, burn out, what have you and could give me a personal story about it. Today I'm writing the intro and conclusion, tomorrow I'll be writing the first draft and the final will be turned in by Tuesday the 6th. So let me hear your mopar or no car stories!

thats a good point, I guess I didn't think of that...
I was going to say that because Mopars are a little more rare (in my area at least) the community is tighter. Should I throw that point out all together or revise it somehow?

the mopar crowd seems to be more together than some of the x brands but there are way more mustangs out there than our cars for sure get some production numbers of how many mustangs were made compared to our cars

not many people will pitch in money to save someones house car and so on there is alot of that here

Actually,I owned a 5.0 mustang. Back in 88 I bought a brand new one.

What brought me over to the mopar crowd was getting schooled by a 360 cuda one weekend...Then I started attending drag races out at Mission racetrack.It was an eye opener! There just werent any fast fords. The biggest competition to the Mopars seemed to be other mopars,lol!

Then I saw the Davenport duster make a very low 7 second pass.

I was hooked. Still am a mopar junkie...cant quite get that same fix with any other brand..

I'm unfortunately driving a 2000 Mustang as my daily driver right now while my '73 Duster undergoes a slant 6 to 360 swap. I don't like the Mustang. Everywhere you look you see another one, and I like to be different, which is why I went Mopar instead of Chevy/ford/rice/etc. The Mustang is black, and there was one day at school just after I got it where there were 6 Black mustangs of the same body style all parked next to each other, man did that bother me haha. Plus, most Mustang drivers down here in So Cal drive like they own the road and are almost as bad as the ricer guys and huge suv guys, always swerving in and out of lanes cutting everyone and their mother off. I miss getting a thumbs up as I cruised down the freeway or pulled into a gas station in a Duster, no one ever gets that in a Mustang, no matter what year from my observations.
I cant wait until I've got the Duster back on the road, then the Mustang will become either something else old and Mopar, or a new Challenger.

Heck, I've even got a license plate frame on the back of the Mustang that says "I'd rather be driving my old MOPAR!"

...parents said "No" very loudly when I tried to trade the Mustang for a '73 Scamp last week....

You're comparing one model, Mustang, to an entire Corporation of at least five makes (Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, Jeep, Eagle). Maybe you should choose a specific Mopar model to compare to Mustangs, or compare Mopar to FoMoCo (Ford, Lincoln, Mercury).
Mustangs are a dime-a-dozen. You can randomly throw a rock over your shoulder, and you'll probably hit one. There really is no Mopar that compares in numbers to mustangs, except maybe Jeeps.

hmm i agree, comparing mopar vs 1 of the many other automakers single car is somewhat david/goliath haha, expecially for a mustang but if i were doing a compare and contrast i would just do something like automaker / automaker,
Or even just do mopar vs, chevy/ford
And you can say rarety...comunnity... and even mopars being somewhat overlooked as the underdog even though in the 60's they took over nascar by storm with the hemi the 1st year taking 1st-4th place i think there first race and walked all over all the competition... just a thought
good luck

Kelsey,you can't go wrong with a little history,Chrysler developed many firsts both in auto industry and other areas,many have been copied by gm and ford.I believe one of the mopar mags does regular pieces on Chrysler corporations accomplishments.

Comparing Mopars in general to the Rustclang is a bit of a mis-match. A Mustink has little in common with an Imperial. However, that said, A-bodies as a group would be more comparable to the mustang than Mopars in total.

Advantage Mopar

In 1960, NASCAR thought it would be a good idea to race the new compact cars against each other. The 'Stang didn't come out until 64, but it's progenitor, the Falcon, suited up for battle. It's a fair comparison because the Falcon had the same chassis and power plant that was standard issue for the '64 'Stang. The Falcon and Valiant had 170 CID engines and Corvairs had 145. In the field were 8 Valiants, which finished 1-8. NASCAR tried again the next year with similar results. NASCAR would not offer a smaller car series until 1969 responding to the SCCA's TransAm series that was in its glory days.

Current NHRA SuperStock record holder is a clone of the '68 SuperStock Barracuda.

Virtually all currently competing Top Fuel dragsters and Funny cars use engines that follow the design of the Chrysler Hemi. The competing 427 SOHC engine was never installed in a street legal Mustang. Chrysler contracted with Hurst to produce approximately 150 Hemi Darts and Barracudas. Although the intent was to sell these Hemi cars to racers, some did make it onto the street. To their credit, they had very Spartan, but complete interiors.

The attention to details on the Mopars was better than on the 'Stangs. On the early 'Stangs, the door handles were open on the back side. The Mopar door handle was a better quality piece because the handle was full enclosed. It went on into the interior. The seat cushions on the Mopar were thicker and better shaped.

The Mustang used a coil/shock assembly that mounted in a tower. The chassis were particularly flexible, so racers often had braces running from the cowl to the coil tower. Outside of shims, stretching, or cutting the spring, there was no way to raise or lower the front end height. The Mopars could be adjusted by turning a screw on the lower control arm. It was/is a solid system.

1967 was the year that Mopar officially put a big block engine in the A-body and the first year that Phord put a big block in the Mustang. The Mopar 383 was a tight fit and would not allow power steering to be fitted. Maintenance functions were reasonably straight forward to perform.

To tune up a 67 390 Mustang, it was necessary to disconnect the driver's side engine mount and jack up the engine to reach the #7 plug. If power brakes were fitted (i.e. disc brakes), the master cylinder had to be removed to reach the plug. The brakes needed to be bled before turning the car over to the owner.

Mopar used an asymetrical leaf spring system in the rear. This system used the forward part of the spring to locate the axle and the rear part to provide the "springiness". The Mustang had a symmetrical spring that had both ends of the spring doing the same thing. The early Rustclang in particular would develop serious axle tramp under hard acceleration and braking. The Mopars were much more stable.

In order to get the pony to put out decently, it needed the attention of Shelby American, Inc. Without the Shelby influence, the Mustink was not the quality or pleasurable car that Mopar churned out.

Top Engines
First Generation Mustang: 220 hp 289 CID, 271 hp 289 CID
First Generation A-body: 235 hp 273 CID

Second Generation Mustang:
1967: 271 hp 289 CID, 320 hp 390 CID
Second Generation Mopar:
1967: 235 hp 273 CID, 290 hp 383 CID

Second Generation Mustang
1968: 335 hp 428 CID, 360 hp 427 CID
Second Generation Mopar:
1968: 275 hp, 340 CID, 320 hp 383 CID, 515 hp 426 CID * 2x4 Race Hemi

In 1969 and 1970 the horsepower continued to escalate. These model years for Ford are considered third generation cars. There were some interesting engine options on both sides. For 1969 Ford introduced the Boss 302 (290 hp), a 300 hp 351 CID, 375 hp Boss 429. Interestingly, Ford contracted with Kar Kraft to build the Boss 302 and Boss 429 Mustangs. The horsepower ratings given by the factory were notoriously understated on the "Boss" cars.

The 1969 model year line up was the same as 1968. In 1970, the Barracuda moved to the E-body which was significantly larger. The Mustang caught up with the E-body size in 1971. On the engine front, Mopar was no less creative, placing a 440 4bbl (375 hp) in the Dart or a 340 with 3-2bbl carburetors (290 hp) in the 1970 model Duster. Both cars at the instigation of Norm Kraus of Chicago, IL. The 340 was also under-rated.

Horsepower rating notes: While the first generation Mustang seems to have a power advantage with the 271 hp, 289 CID; it's more of a paper advantage. The engine did not work well with the automatic transmission and could be trounced by the 235/273 combination. The four speed cars were comparable performers.

Late in the 60s, lawyers masquarading as safety experts (see Ralph Nader and Joan Claybrook) along with the insurance companies worked tirelessly to put legislation before Congress to increase its regulation of the automotive industry. Insurance companies exerted their considerable influence to reduce the desirability of high performance cars to the auto manufacturers target market by increasing premiums and/or slapping surcharges on anything they deemed "dangerous". To wit: A single male under 25 would pay double the rate of a single female under 25. This would double and quadruple for anything considered today to be a muscle car.

American manufacturers were targeted by this effort. In response, auto manufacturers would understate the power of the engines. Some figures were outright falsehood, still others stated a power rating at a particular engine RPM. A owner could obtain better performance by simply operating the engine beyond the stated RPM up to maximum RPM recommended by the manufacturer.

img138.jpg

I was driving down the road one day in my 70 340 Dart when a guy pulled up next to me in a primered up 5.0 mustang. He started egging me on to race. There was no one around so we pulled to a stop reved them up and dumped on it. I was way out in front of him when I looked down and saw I was going 75 MPH and wes not even out of 3rd gear yet so I let off. He slowed as well then turned off at the next side street.

(I miss getting a thumbs up as I cruised down the freeway or pulled into a gas station in a Duster, no one ever gets that in a Mustang, no matter what year from my observations.)

I have to disagree, I get thumbs up all the time in my '86 5.0...But I am happy to see it pointed out that you can't compare a company against one vehicle...good luck with your report....

Well for the mopar end of the story: STREET RACING VIDEO
That is me BTw lol

89 daytona CS (lightest model daytona and best motor/trans) or as i claim all the shelby performance without all the added weight.
someone swapped in a 2.5 vs the 2.2, it has more tq but doesnt rev as high, both have there goods and bads but it will get a 2.2 back someday.

anyways stock 2.2, mopar HG, stock turbo and manifolds, stock intercooler 3in exhaust. 20psi of boost on e85 fuel. I was running drag radials and air shocks in the rear(stops squatting)

Mustang was fully built 5.0, cam, gear timing system, very very healthy sounding stang, on runflat tires.
(race was a run what you brung lol)

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/89-daytona-vs-50-mustang_680691.htm
Note how when i took off the first time, you can hear me spinning and the radials are very low pressure lol....mustang didnt know what hit him.

We raced from a stop before that, but my friend was too excited for owning and forgot to tape it lol by the end of 4th gear i could see him in my side view mirror telling me 3-4 cars lol :cheers: MOPAR FTW

I also had just got done painting the car:-D here is a pic, lil dirty :(

DSCF0050-2.jpg
I installed a s10 air dam, hence why it doesnt fit quite right helps air go though the intercooler/radiator vs under the car

not many people will pitch in money to save someones house car and so on there is alot of that here

A Mustang guy on the Corral donated a kidney to another member he only knew through the website.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1001095

Doesn't get much tighter than that. LOL!

Mopars are MUCH rarer than Mustangs. Also LOTS more expensive.

One big reason there are a lot more Mustangs than hot-rod Mopars is because while Fomoco was turning out 5.0s by the zillion, Mopar was only making K-cars. Well, and Diplomats. :(

Steve

Love my '07 Mustang GT with side pipes and Cragars..and other mods..

547680118_cXQmg-L.jpg

..bought a MOPAR because we couldn't afford a '69 'stang :( It seems that all mustangs (except the mustang 2) command high prices while the a body cars a selling at reasonable prices and parts / experience (in large qty) is out there.

I am glad we bought a '75 Duster. I love driving it... I love the look of the duster and other a bodies..in fact, all classic MOPAR..I also own a hemi RAM.

Both sides of new groups are great..and the folks I meet with either marque are car lovers and great folks..

I think both groups have divisions based on body style or year..we just went through a discussion here on FABO why "A" bodys should not be worth anything..a thesis that I do nor particular agree with...and on another site the drop in value of the fox body vs the '05 to '09 body..

Personally, I don't like the 2010 'stang and not a big fan of convertibles..I prefer hardtop fastbacks..even my MG was one :) ..but I appreciate the time and trouble of someone else has restored one..and I like looking at them..

Kelsey, I don't think you can build one car up by trashing another..and you are also missing the bowtie group..instead, just write on why MOPARS are great and talk about MOPAR “firsts”..on the street and track.

There will probably be a lot of info on this thread..because there are lots of very passionate MOPAR owners and car lovers on this site..

Good luck
Grassy

As a previous Mustang 5.0 owner of 92' GT and a 90' LX with a swapped 2.3 Turbo. I do live the Fox Body Mustangs and will own one again. They are a good "bang for the buck car." It wasn't too long ago Ford and Mopars alike were in the same aftermarket camp, there's Chevy specific and Universal fit. Due to the increase in popularity, that has changed for both crowds.

I think if you were looking to do ao compare and contrast, how about Drum vs Disc brakes or Standard manual transmission vs clutchless or a even better read, HCCI vs Auto Ignition vs Spark Initiated Combustion.

I agree with everyone that I'm probably pushing it to compare a family of auto makers to a single model, but its what I have, my draft is due tomorrow, and I'm already about halfway done. I'm definately not going to put down the Mustang per se, (thats not my thing) but the point of my essay is just to compare, and give facts that show why the characteristics of Mopars (in particular A-bodies, since its what I drive and am most familiar with) are better than those of Mustangs. I'm saying that Mustangs are average while Mopars are superb not that Mustangs are terrible and Mopars are ok (if that makes any sense).
I agree with everyone about getting a thumbs up at gas stations and on the streets and what not. Everytime I'm at the pump someone comes and talks car talk with me, its pretty nice :D
Thank you to everyone for contributing, by the way, FABO is truely a great site!

Well Kelsey, it's nice to see young ladies like yourself taking an interest in a pastime that some of us would call an obsession. I grew up in the late 60's early 70's around Mopars and yes I street raced a lot in the old days, usually out of town on a long straight stretch. There was this one night that I got ganged up on by 2 Mustangs, a 351 Mach 1 and a 69 or so 390 fastback against my 440 4 speed Roadrunner. I polished off both stangs one after the other out of town by 2 or 3 car lengths no problem and this is where it gets funny. I headed back to town (small town of about 10K) and parked at the end of main street and wasn't there more than 5 minutes when both these stangs came by and decided to race each other. Well they lined up on main street (it's like midnight) and proceeded to race away. They were gone about 2 blocks when off to my right I hear the unmistakeable sound of a gear reduction starter cranking over then a deep rumble. A few seconds later all hell broke loose and out of the shadow of the Case dealership comes flying Officer Metalowsky behind the wheel of one the RCMP 70 Dodge interceptors. These things had recammed 440's in them, courtesy of the local Dodge dealer and a big ugly carb on top with 2.95 gears in them so they would do 150-160 miles/hour. Took a few miles but they'd do it. Anyway Officer Bob came out of the Case dealership parking lot hit main street, put down about 20 feet of rubber and had those 2 Rustang drivers legs spread and leaning over the hoods of their cars before they could get out of town. Good old Bob had snuck into town from the next town 10 miles away where the detachment is located.

For me it's not just the Mopar name, these engines are different than Fords and Chebbys in the way they perform and just as importantly the way they sound, I love the sound of a Mopar Big Block and Small Block with a lumpy cam. Here's mine. Not nearly as neat as 7172 launch but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hmi6jCdhTs

Terry

Terry, thanks for your reply, and i agree, the sound and feel of the engine is what truely sells it for me. When you drive other cars its just a tool to get you from point a to b, but with mopars, I enjoy the ride usually more than the destination, ahha I remember one time when I was pulling out of a park, I started up the engine, and my Scamp *really* roared, I big group of people just turned around, and i could read from their faces they were just thinking, "That little thing can make THAT noise?" My nephews love getting rides in it too, they say, "Your car just sounds fast, even when you start it!"
Its just that rumble that gets your heart rate up, you know what I mean?

Terry, thanks for your reply, and i agree, the sound and feel of the engine is what truely sells it for me. When you drive other cars its just a tool to get you from point a to b, but with mopars, I enjoy the ride usually more than the destination, ahha I remember one time when I was pulling out of a park, I started up the engine, and my Scamp *really* roared, I big group of people just turned around, and i could read from their faces they were just thinking, "That little thing can make THAT noise?" My nephews love getting rides in it too, they say, "Your car just sounds fast, even when you start it!"
Its just that rumble that gets your heart rate up, you know what I mean?

Yup I know what you mean, at my age an adreneline rush is a good thing from time to time or so my doctor says.

Terry

My Alzheimer's is acting up. I should have included in previous post. Transmission comparison to follow:

The standard 3 speed transmission was one place where Mopar lagged. The early Mustang had a fully-synchronized unit. The early A-bodies had to make do with a unit that did not have a synchronizer of first gear. No problem when accelerating. When slowing, it meant coming to a complete stop to engage first. (Actually, it can be done if you double-clutch, but makes an ugly noise if you get it wrong). Mopar did have all synchro 3 speeds, but didn't fit them to the A-body until at least 1967. The 1962 Chrysler Newport had floor shifted, all synchro unit.

The small Ford engines used the C-4 CruiseOmatic 3-speed automatic, the larger ones the C-6. Other than the C-6 abandoning the Park position automatically on occasion, they were both satisfactory transmissions. (Yes the car would jump out of Park and begin rolling if the parking brake wasn't set and working properly). The C-6 was a heavy lump. In 1968, Ford reduced the number of clutch packs in the transmission to make it lighter and improved the lock-up of the remaining two by specifying Type F transmission fluid. As best I can recall, Type F was produced by Shell. If you needed to top-off you went to a Ford dealer or a Shell station. If neither facility was close by, you were out of luck.

Over at Mopar, the automatic transmission was called the Torqueflite, with the 904 model used for small block and the 727 for 340 and big block engines. They were a little louder than the Fords, but could handle more torque.

Here's a testimony for the Torqueflites. From 1963-1968 American Motors installed Borg-Warner automatic transmissions in their cars. As more power came on-line at AMC, the Borg-Warners couldn't cut it. AMC could have gotten competitive component pricing from any manufacturer in the world. What they bought were Mopar Torqueflites and called them Torque Command automatic transmissions. The transmissions earned the same reputation for strength and reliability they had at Mopar.

A personal testimony. I was living in Germany and was out in a 71 /6 Duster with Torqueflite. One of the transmission lines split dumping a lot of fluid out before I realized it. I managed to coax up a length of hydraulic hose from the power steering return hose and clamped it over the split. In those days, apart from Mercedes and the American cars, there was not a demand for ATF on the German economy. The only fluid I had in a container in the car was anti-freeze. So, I dumped it into the tranny and took off. Contributing to the decision was while I could probably have purchased ATF along the autobahn, there was no place I could drain off my concoction. Don't recall if I had a Deutsche Mark shortage in my pocket at the time. The car shifted right up to 3rd gear without a problem. As long as it felt good, I drove 320 km @ 125-130 kph without incident. When I got home, I wheeled into the motor pool. My maintenance tech was there and watched as I pumped the glop out of the transmission dipstick tube.

"What's that?"
"Transmission fluid."
"No, why does it look like that?"
"Because I put a ½ gallon of anti-freeze in there."
"Why did you do that? You're going to be buying a transmission." He warned.
I told him what had happened while I re-filled the 904 with fresh fluid. He shook his head as I drove off. I replaced the power steering return hose and put two more clamps on my line splice to get it to quit leaking.

Six months later, my maintenance tech needed a car and asked about the Duster. He dropped the pan on the transmission inspected it and ran some pressure tests before he bought it. Everything was within normal tolerance. He drove the car for two more years, sold the car to one of the troops who drove it for another year before he sold it to another troop stationed somewhere else in Germany.

Mopar came to the four-speed party a little late. However, when the Mustang was introduced, Mopar had a four-speed in its arsenal and it was a dandy.

Ford put the 260 CID V-8 in the Falcon halfway through the 1963 model year. One of the options with the Windsor motor was a 4-speed manual made at the Dagenham, England factory. The box had seen duty in a number of European Ford models, so it was a well developed unit. The shifter mechanism for the Dagenham box had a T-lever that disengaged the reverse lock-out when lifted. It is a decent feature that allows the driver to enjoy the experience without worrying about popping into reverse.

While the Dagenham 4-speed had worked well behind 1600cc Cortinas, it had a nasty habit of spitting out parts when connected to the 271hp/289 and hammered. For that reason, the Shelby models did not use this transmission. It used what was called a top loader T-10. This is not to be confused with the Borg-Warner T-10 which had also been used by Ford. The Top Loader, as it was known was a very durable piece. It was undermined by a shift linkage that was notorious for hanging up on the 2-3 shift.

In 1969, Ford offered a Hurst shift lever for the transmission. Many were tempted by the equipment. Imagine their disappointment that they had a Hurst shift lever and not a Hurst shift linkage. Not to worry, there was a brisk aftermarket trade that fixed the problem.

Mopar offered their LA V-8 and the A833 four-speed at the beginning of the 64 model year. From 1964-65 and 68½-74, Mopar offered the A833 with the Hurst Competition Plus shift linkage. The press raved over the comparatively precise shifts this produced. The A833 was no slouch. It could take all the abuse the stock engines could produce and then some. None of the other manufacturers offered a stronger, better shifting 4-speed than the A833 with the Hurst linkage.

Mopar veered off their successful formula in 66-68½ when they offered the Inland shifter in place of the Hurst unit. The Inland looked good in the new for 1966 console, and had a T-handle reverse lockout like the Ford Dagenham box had. Unfortunately, the Inland unit was as imprecise and as troublesome as the Ford linkage. Mopar listened to the whining on the street, ditched the Inland shifter in the middle of the 68 model year, and brought back the Hurst.:stop:

-
Back