MoparGal (Alexis B’s) 1975 Plymouth Duster Build

-

MoparGal559

Reaction score
Love the idea of getting to track the progress of these, so figured I’d start my own while it’s all fresh in my head!

Purchased: 1/15/22
Details: mostly unmessed with 318, factory AC, B5 Blue w/white mid body stripes and originally had white vinyl 1/2 top.

Original sale ad pics & trailer pics are from day of purchase. Driveway pics are post comet wash and linseed oil once she was home.

Ordered new fuel tank, sending unit, fuel line & filter, misc bulbs, got her registered and my personalized plates reassigned this week.

Next up: Need to fix broken throttle cable, linkage and kick down, then likely on to swap the carb & stuff! Thankful to have found this group, thanks for having me. Will post more as things happen.

A3D34D64-5969-4FEC-802C-77F789246C40.jpeg

59724378-7929-4CAF-A7EC-EE9B00C041C9.jpeg

B0A8978C-4539-4D60-8B7A-38BF8EB36BCB.jpeg

014DA72D-959F-4B0F-BE5D-D2ECA01DD1DD.jpeg

D76A3F5B-D6C8-47F8-9784-089904FC0FE0.jpeg

1EB06EA7-E534-4DE8-A32A-89BAF2F10057.jpeg

89CA17EE-AE24-4D05-9321-43444D0699B6.jpeg

26EA77AC-0B02-4D21-85DD-6216F6EEF551.jpeg

790C1907-6827-4D70-A180-F1F7D986F34B.jpeg

7BD67640-4520-403E-9087-5703DB456234.jpeg

Awesome. That will be sweeeet when finished. I see it has the optional alligator skin dash cover and two-tone brown and blue paint job. LOL. Seriously though, it looks like that car has spent some serious time in the sun. I LOVE B5 blue. I thought about painting my 69 Barracuda B5, but the F8 dark green won out. Don't be afraid to try anything. I have had no formal training, and in the last 45 years I have taught myself to do welding, major body work, paint, engine rebuilding, tranny work, etc. Plus, now you have YouTube and ForABodies Only. Help is always only a post away.

I'm kinda hungup on Vixen's patina myself. It can be cool. Wherever we go everybody says leave her as is. Looks like you have a really nice foundation.
IMG_20220110_152907.jpg

Awesome. That will be sweeeet when finished. I see it has the optional alligator skin dash cover and two-tone brown and blue paint job. LOL. Seriously though, it looks like that car has spent some serious time in the sun. I LOVE B5 blue. I thought about painting my 69 Barracuda B5, but the F8 dark green won out. Don't be afraid to try anything. I have had no formal training, and in the last 45 years I have taught myself to do welding, major body work, paint, engine rebuilding, tranny work, etc. Plus, now you have YouTube and ForABodies Only. Help is always only a post away.
Yes!! Between roadkill, YouTube, FABO, there’s so much info and help available. Will be a fun project for sure!

Call me cheesy, but I figure patina is like a finger print right? Lol :lol: no one will have my “paint job” hahaha we will just call it custom
I kinda like it. I had all kinda plans for big paint and this and that, but since we've gotten her "runnin and drivin" like the title to my build thread, we're just havin a LOT of fun doin just that.

You know, I think I could see the coolness of spraying matte clear on the patina and getting the drivetrain, AC, and interion up to snuff. Imagine driving down the highway in your patinamobile with the windows up and the AC on as you pass modern cars broken down on the side of the road.

You know, I think I could see the coolness of spraying matte clear on the patina and getting the drivetrain, AC, and interion up to snuff. Imagine driving down the highway in your patinamobile with the windows up and the AC on as you pass modern cars broken down on the side of the road.
Yes!! You kind of read my mind. I always found it comical when you know general people think, “look at that rust bucket, bets it’s a pile of junk” and then you start up and drive away in a perfectly good car just chuckling to yourself. I planned on using the $ instead on exactly what you said! Running & driving well, interior looking better. Paint can come later!

If I do paint Vixen, I think she's going to be painted using the same single stage enamel type paint she came with. I've thought about all the cool modern stuff.....I really LOVE that deep candy apple Mazda red, but to me she just won't look right with all that fake *** shine of a base coat clear coat gives. She's just not a modern car.

Welcome from Michigan the Motor City! Lotsa knowledge on this site on these A bodies don't be shy asking questions. I'm a big fan of the patina finish on these old cars too. Looks like you have lotsa pictures, we like pics to see what your working on. 65'

Welcome, you'll change your mind a thousand times the more you see other cars. Paint is one of the later endeavors once you dig in. Good luck and keep the faith.

Welcome from AZ! Can you explain the Comet wash and linseed oil? I'm guessing the linseed oil is to protect the patina?

Don't rely on the after market fuel sender, send your original to John Wolf & Company in Willoughby, Ohio & have it rebuilt. You will thank yourself later after having misreadings on the Chinese junk we are having to use.

YOU GO GIRL !! I totally agree with the patina look.
Last few cars I did that. Make the car safe with new underpinnings and drive it.
Never have to worry where you park or if it sits outside.

Welcome from AZ! Can you explain the Comet wash and linseed oil? I'm guessing the linseed oil is to protect the patina?

I am no expert and have no business giving advice haha so now with that disclaimer out of the way, to me, comet wash felt like wet sanding for dummies. It has a mild abraisive, so I felt like it helped remove any chunky porous patina areas, smooth everything out and essentially removes your foggy layer of clear coat that has been eaten by the sun. Was told by friend/mopar guru the linseed just seems to preserve what’s remains. Once again, not an expert but I am assuming due to it being an oil, it starves the remaining Patina/rust from oxidizing further. :)

Don't rely on the after market fuel sender, send your original to John Wolf & Company in Willoughby, Ohio & have it rebuilt. You will thank yourself later after having misreadings on the Chinese junk we are having to use.
Thank you for that! Had no clue that was an option, I will look into it and look them up!

-
Back