Mopars new V6- the Pentastar

-

412 Stroker

Reaction score
This is an article I copied from the June 2011 Mopar Action Mag, thought if some of you were interested in the new Pentastar V6 that Mopar is putting in everything from Challengers to Ram trucks, 305 hp from a v6 is pretty impressive, how long before someone puts a turbo kit or kits on one???

Attachments

• pentastar1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,628
  • pentastar2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 733
  • pentastar3.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 698
The exhaust manifold and head are cast together as one piece! That's nuts... might make things difficult. I sure as hell couldn't work on it

I've heard the majority of these will be made in Mexico. Is that correct?
I got this from Wiki, could be crap don't know.

The Pentastar engines will be made in Trenton, Michigan and Saltillo, Mexico. The Saltillo, Mexico plant is set to begin production in the 2012 model year (with parts machined in Toledo, Ohio).
Insiders initially reported that the engine would come in four basic sizes (3.0L, 3.3L, 3.6L, and 4.0L), each offered in various states of tune. The 4.0L has been dropped from the list and a 3.2L added, according to Allpar as of November 2008 and October 2010, respectively, while Fiat's investor website, as of Dec., 2011, specifies the 3.0L with Fiat's multi-air technology.[8] The 3.6 liter engine itself has different horsepower ratings in different vehicles, and has higher horsepower (305 hp) and torque (268 lb-ft) as used in the Dodge Challenger[9]
Twin and single turbocharged variants are planned for 2014. These engines are projected to produce around 420 and 370 horsepower respectively. Direct injection is also planned.[10]
Due to the new ownership structure, Fiat has obtained the right to use these engines, and currently plans to adopt them in the larger models of Lancia and Alfa Romeo.[11]

At least there not making them in China, not yet.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Pentastar_engine

the 3.6 is old news since they have been making them since last year, I test drove a chrysler 200 this spring with a penstar engine. didn't impress me for the power its suppost to have...

I have one of these in my 2012 Charger. With the 8 speed auto trans, I have gotten 31 MPH (Hwy running 75 mph). I am impressed with the performance and the mileage of the vehicle. You can see the Mercedes influence on the engine design as they have gone to the cartridge oil filters on the top of the engine. There is a lot of anticipation for a tuner to come available for this as well on the charger forum...

I have one in my 2012 Wrangler it get's very good gas mileage,but performance is another story. It does not compare to the 4.0 I had in my 2000 model.

I have one in my 2012 Wrangler it get's very good gas mileage,but performance is another story. It does not compare to the 4.0 I had in my 2000 model.

That's apparently a huge deal with the jeep guys. I've never driven the new pentastar but most of em don't like it. I've got a 4.0 93 YJ. Apparently it's much more responsive and torque is higher as well, gas mileage hands down goes to the pentastar though just not any good for the off roaders

There is talk that the 2014 model (engines) will have the option of a single or twin turbo (370/470 or so respectively).

We have stroker cranks and sleeved the old 3.5 to a 5.0 and have them in a few Prowlers out here along with a bunch of other special parts... One with a Novi 2000 on it pushing close to 18 pounds of boost pulling close to 500hp on the Dyno... It's very expensive and has eaten 2 transmissions in 3 years along with tons of other parts... It's like anything else out there How Fast Do You Want To Go.... $$$$$$ onecatnodog
DSC_0012-11.jpg

DSC_0017-13.jpg

DSC_0035-7.jpg

DSC_0036-002.jpg

I've driven an '11 and a '12 Challnger with the 3.6. It's no hemi but it impressed me enough I'm considering a new Challenger with one. 305 hp isn't bad.
Dallas

the wifies 200 vert has the pentastar motor, it feels as fast as her GT PT vert that was boosted and intercooled from ma MOPAR. it ain't no muscle car, but it is kinda impressive from a V6. the 6 speed tranny is nice
DSC06267.jpg

It looks pretty complicated for the "fewer parts" claim, but they are counting parts in the entire V-6 product lineup. My 3.8L V-6 looks more like a descendant of the LA engine, with pushrods ..., but a 60 deg bank. I am all for improved technology, as long as reliability follows. With fewer engines in the lineup, parts should be easier to get and interchange. The integral exhaust manifold will limit people from fooling with manifold choices, but that gives more time to tune the many other parts. With today's V-6's, there is little need for a V-8 in passenger cars anymore.

-
Back