moper, IQ52, and other head guys--would like your input...again

-

txstang84

Reaction score
My indecision and lack of ability to actually put hands on this project have again generated questions of which direction to go with this project...

After reading many threads on here and most recently the low compression 440 with stealth heads question (posted yesterday), I'm strongly considering ditching my untouched 915s and rebuilt 452s for whatever I can get out of them and put the money toward a set of Stealths for the 383 still in need of direction and build...only problem after that will be either machining the second hand diamond pistons made for open chamber style heads like the 452s or using thicker head gaskets to keep them from ramming the head decks.

Kind of a dilemma...a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but as noted many times on this website and others, heads are the key to making the power throughout the RPM range.

Just to refresh the intents, the engine will be dropped in an '84 Ramcharger, cam currently on hand is an older ultradyne single pattern solid flat tappet, 272 total 243@ 050, 0.5xx lift (can't find the specs right now). I have a set of hughes roller rockers, RPM intake, diamond quench pad pistons, want to use 1 3/4" long tube headers into dual 2.5", 3200-3500 custom stall, 727, 3.92 gears. I'd like to drop the new FI tech EFI system on it as well.

Not trying to break records or anything, just want a good running reliable engine and a quick fun SUV. Regardless of which heads I go with, they'll go to someone for freshening and probably new running gear as required.

Thoughts, options?

Volumetric efficiency is what makes a pump work well. The big deal on aftermarket heads is they fill the need for stroker engines with 500 plus cubes or really high winding engines that need the extra CFM. A good set of 452s with a pocket port and intake match will provide plenty of air for a strong 383. You get too big a port and velocity will fall off affecting your torque and low end driveability. Stealths can make more power but if you have to drop compression or change pistons I'd go with what you have.

Last edited:
Install the fresh 452s and dont look back. Maybe do a nice bowl port/cleanup on them, they will make good power on that 383.

A decent 2.14/1.81 452 head, bowl ported, should be around 235-245cfm intake around .5 and around 190-200cfm exhaust at .5 lift. Flowed on a SF-1020, 4.150 bore left over from small block stuff. Consider those ballpark #'s, but we're not talking Comp or T/S stuff. Just part of my various science projects.

That's based on the set I have that's with Milodon street 3/8" stem valves that I had done by a friend, a few years back, that will probably go on the 383 in my D100 pickup.

I think that selling the 915 heads to someone who needs/wants iron heads for class/rules or other reasons would be productive. IMO, their value/performance ratio for someone not limited by rules is skewed at the moment.

I'd sell them and the flat tappet cam and put the money towards a hydraulic roller cam setup; I think that would be best bang/dollar as well as being more reliable and better performance. You've got good rockers, so you're half way there. S/F.....Ken M

What pistons do you have? I'm not familiar with Diamonds with a raised quench pad.

This should be good. how to make a large bore, short stroke 383 move a 84 ramcharger. subscribed

What pistons do you have? I'm not familiar with Diamonds with a raised quench pad.

here's a pic...I don't know the thickness above deck or anything as they're down at my Dad's house in another state...

IMG_1899.JPG

This should be good. how to make a large bore, short stroke 383 move a 84 ramcharger. subscribed

...hope you're patient...this is a project that was on the back burner as soon as I grabbed the parts because I had to move from Texas to Hawaii and now to South Dakota. I'll be a Mr. inside of a year, so maybe I'll get to start playing with my toys again when I retire from the AF and move back to Texas.

Install the fresh 452s and dont look back. Maybe do a nice bowl port/cleanup on them, they will make good power on that 383.

I think they might already have some mild port touching done to them...I bought them from a member on here, I'll see if I can find the link to the ad...

Mill the pad off, run the Stealths would be my advice. Trying to make an as-cast set of open chambered heads have effective quench is an expensive exercise in machining and details on pretty much every part associated with moving a piston and the heads. You will spend less using any closed chambered head, and you should be able to sell the 452s and the 915s and get 50-60% the cost of the Stealths with the valve job fixed and upgraded springs, retainers, and locks.
ps. - thanks for your service. My best friend is retiring August 2017 from the USAF, based in Madison, WI.

I had a feeling you'd suggest that...at this point I'm just looking at all available options and trying to pick the best one, even if it involves dropping some cash. I don't know much about either set of iron heads, so for all I know they might need a complete rebuild and by the time I bought correct springs, valves, re-do seats/guides, etc I'd be past halfway to buying a fresh set of stealths. Either way-thanks!

P.S. And thank you for your support! I would probably stay until my high year of tenure, but I have a potential job opportunity and I didn't want to let it pass me by. I'm guessing your friend is WIANG? Please pass him my congrats when the time comes. I have a feeling the coming months will be an ever increasing whirlwind of activity focused on transitioning from a career that's spanned my entire adult life thus far.

-
Back