More 7-1/4 axle questions

-

g413

Reaction score
View attachment IMG_1323.jpg

On my last post, many of you gave me a hard time for even staying with the 7-1/4 axle, but the car is just a daily driver so I'm okay with it. The car came with on enlarged stud hole and the stud was missing. I had the first mechanic try to replace the existing studs with RH studs, and then another hole got screwed up.

So my best bet was to get a used axle with RH studs installed and just replace the axle and bearing. Well I got the axle from a junkyard, but as you can see, I've some retainer issues.

So now it looks like both existing and junkyard bearings need to be removed in order to salvage the existing retainer. From the manual, it also looks like the collar needs be heavily notched to get it off.

So then, are new gaskets, a seal, and new collar recommended to reinstall? Are these parts available? How does the bearing get lubricated?

Am I looking at this correctly? Things always seem to get messy.

if it were mine i would just find another 7.25 rear they are almost free, its going to cost some time and money to fix that rear ,i have a 7.25 rear with great brakes and new wheel cylinders and in good condition its only worth 70-80 bucks, just my opinion post a wanted ad in parts , good luck

That is something I hadn't thought about. Probably someone nearby does have one. I haven't gotten very good deals at the junkyards. But by the time I would get the rear end here, and then get it installed, there is some labor involved.

Since my post, I found a NOS kit (2 gaskets, oil seal, bearing, and collar) on eBay to rebuild the used components. The cost was $52 including shipping.

So I'm hoping I can find someone local to press the old bearing off, press the new bearing on, and install the axle. Anyway, that is the plan for now.

it does take time to find to find the parts ,get the parts, and install them, but now you have to find someone to press the parts, after you get the parts, reassemble rear new gasket/sealer, I just did a rear swap 7.25-8.25, took 3 hours out, 3 .5 hours back in, would have been easier if same rear swap , my first time doing this , and by myself. too bad your in cali, I would sell the complete rear for 70 bolt and go ,I am sure a fabo member has a rear that would do that, sure you can repair the rear, and it will work great when your done, either way will work, are you going to repair the rear yourself, or have someone repair it, easier to swap rear and cheaper, than to repair by others,

As for me, I would have used the axle with the "bad" holes. Just assemble the axle into a steel wheel to center the studs. Then put 3 heavy tack welds on the stud heads to the flange. remove the wheel, and slam er home;done.

-
Back