more ??? about bolts

-

64gt

Reaction score
does this sound right? seven bolts for the water pump and five different lengths? did some one use whatever was around or should there be this many different bolts?
thnxs

What's this on SB or BB, regardless who knows what the guy before ya did. What I always do is first clean out all the holes with a bottoming tap and get all the gunge out. Then measure the depth of the threaded hole and figure out what the bolt length requirement is with gasket thichness and flat washer (subtract 2 threads) in the equation. If ya come up with needing a 1 3/4" long bolt, for example, but only 1 1/2 and 2" are available then buy a 2" and cut it to length. I use grade 5 and prefer 7 if I can get them and vanadium plated.

Terry

Always a good idea if you're going to cut a bolt is thread a nut on first. After cutting, take the nut off. Usually, the nut will be good enough to clean up the cut surface. Or if you have die, you can skip the nut. I do both.

I believe 2 longer ones for water pump jackets,mine had chevy starter bolts in it.I changed them at rebuild time(340)so yes to different lengths.

i just went through this, its a pain in the ***. couldnt use the stock bolts because they were really long due to all the brackets.

taken from moparts tech section:

Small Block bolt sizes

oil pan
5/16"{18}x 3/4" amount needed 18
valve covers
1/4"{20}x3/4" amount needed 10

fuel pump
3/8"{16}x1 1/2" amount needed 2

thermostat housing
3/8"{16}x1" amount needed 2

intake manilofld
3/8"{16}x1 1/2" amount needed 12

water pump & timming cover as a combo-set
3/8"{16}x5" amount needed 4
3/8"{16}x3 3/4" amount needed 3
3/8"{16}x1" amount needed 3
3/8"{16}x2" amount needed 1

distibuter hold down
5/16{18}x 3/4" amount needed 1

Don't forget the washers to go with the bolts.
info provided by 340SIX

Hardware bolts look so bad in a nice engine compartment. Don't you have coffee cans filled with Mopar only bolts. If not go to a salvage yard and find an engine with the same type of waterpump and brackets and salvage all the bolts and washers you can. Make a note what lengths go where and clean them up and install.. I knew a guy that put together a 440 with Stage V Hemi heads and the guy that assembled the engine was a Chevy guy and used hardware bolts and the regular hardware washers on the water pump housing. It looked REAL BAD!

Has anybody used one of the bolt kits from ARP? I was wondering if all of the bolts are the correct lengths, especially the ones on the front of the engine where the brackets attach.

-
Back