More and more disgusted with local used pickup prices...and choice

-
Don't forget to order the turret mounted gun option. This will be a very sought after item if Trump doesn't win. They have many different styles. (Note) The Ram can handle the big one.
52c69113d4a8bcd5a8940c527e038c6e.jpg

ZPU_morrocan.jpg

Technical14.jpg

Maybe the Mexicans here in Texas should be buyng p cheap older rust free pickups and hauling them to the N.E. states to sell, rather than driving to auctions in Arkansas for wore out small cars to haul into Mexico to sell!!?????
People, as a whole, do not want to pay $1000 to have solid vehicle, old Mopar or pickup delivered to New England. If they did there would be a huge exit of vehicles leaving here, Tx.
Personally suits me just fine!!!!!
You can no longer export used vehicles to Mexico which are more than a couple years old.

My 21 year old renter recently bought a 2016 Toyota pickup with those tiny rear doors. 120,000 miles. V-6. Paid $16,000 then bought the $4000 extended warranty! The shocking thing is he paid cash... No help from Mom or Dad (they are broke).

Good for him but $4k? He sez that includes oil changes.

You can no longer export used vehicles to Mexico which are more than a couple years old.

Every customs site says otherwise. It's actually a requirement that the vehicle be at least 5 years old. At 10 years old and older, the taxes go up for importation (to make up for significant depreciation). Requirements differ for the border zone and whether the importation is temporary or permanent, but there's nothing barring older vehicles from being exported to Mexico.

What on earth is driving these tremendous pickup prices. I've rethought and re-re-re-rethought what to do, and how to go, and broadened my search. From a 4 whanger extended cab Ranger/ Mazda/ Tacoma, to a 4wd, to a moredoor hemi 1/2T RAM the prices are just ridiculous. I just got emailing some guy. Wanted 3G above the highest I could "click" on Kelly. I selected all the high priced spread, and came nowhere near to what he wants. This is a 6G truck he wants over 85 or more closer to 9G
Ask high. He knows the game, and like anyone, wants top dollar for his truck.
you want one don't you? supply and DEMAND. The truck segment is hot because everybody, including you, wants one, so prices go up. It's almost 2020 so now a 2000 is a 20 year old truck. Do you really want a 20 year old truck? No? How about a 10 year old truck? Yes? So does everyone else and most people who have them don't want to sell. At some point trucks started having more car like options, that means more money new.. and used. How much was a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 new? It was an expensive truck for sure, I wanted one but didn't have the means. A good running, low mileage, 20 year old anything is going to have some solid value. Have you seen what a mid 80's Cutlass in nice shape is going for? :eek:

Last edited:
It's a shame how the times have changed

In the old days you would see a diesel pickup you might think "that guy works so hard".... probably a rancher or cowboy

Now you see a diesel pickup with modified headlights and bling bling bullshit everywhere and think "that guy is a rich asshole with a serious attitude problem"

View attachment 1715305718
I have a 2004 Tacoma extra cab V6. It's got about 120,000 miles on it. Well cared for, paint still shines, nice wheels and tires. It's been an extremely reliable truck, never had any issues with it. But again, it's been well maintained. Still runs like a top. I paid 16 grand for it brand new in 2004.
I get offers to buy it almost every time I'm at the gas station. Last month, a guy driving a new Grand Cherokee offered me 12K for it. I couldn't believe he was serious, but he assured me he was.
I didn't sell. I tend to keep vehicles until I've worn them out. This one may outlast me.

Nice truck man. I paid 10.5k for an 04 Prerunner about three years ago. I looked on craigslist for 6 months straight until I found exactly what I wanted. Many trucks were going for 8-10k but they had 170-250k miles on them. I found mine with only 75k miles on it and talked him down from 12k to 10.5k and I was a happy camper. Hefty price to pay for what was a 12 year old truck at the time but these Toyotas are so reliable, it's like the truck was still a teenager with the miles it had on it.

The biggest reasons trucks are hot sellers right now is the low fuel cost and the loan duration.
Go back to 36 month loans and see how many they sell.

I have been selling cars for 32 years and its a mystery to me ! I just took a 2017 4Runner TRD -Pro in trade with 36k for within 6k of what the MSRP was new.
And this guy cried like a baby about how we were ripping him off ! I told him that after are finished detailing and safety checking it we will be in it a little less than the new price.... Why would anyone pay that much for a 2 year old car with 36k when they could just go buy a new one ? He had no response...
Turns out I have a long term customer with a son in Seattle looking for this exact car ! I had it sold before it hit the lot ! I didnt mark it up much because her and her husband have been really close for a long time .

Point is that consumers drive the market . And as long as there are consumers that will pay stupid prices this will happen.
A used car is not always the best deal.... usually but not always.

I agree , sold cars for awhile and one thing I learned if a person wants it bad enough or if money is no object it will controll the market. Four door pickups are popular they have become the family car, try finding a standard cab anymore , try finding a standard cab
short box or short box 4speed.

I have owned ford , dodge and chevy pickups over the years but now I just buy a used chevy even though I get employee pricing on a new dodge. I like chevy small pickups and have had 2 s10's a currently a Colorado, they can be had for reasonable money and seem to work well

-
Back