more brake info PLEASE

-

leblanc

member 2883
Reaction score
Will a proportioning valve for a 75 Dodge 1 ton work on my 76 Dart Sport with a 360 cu. in. V8? Front discs rear drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldduster318 View Post
No. Just use the drum distribution block and plumb in the adjustable wilwood valve into the rear line.

Thankfully somebody answered and I thank you but now I need more details as to what I should do first. I have never attempted this so I need details as what to do, all I know is that the old proportioning valve has to come out and the easiest way to do this is from underneath. I was told that it was fairly easy if nothing is rusted. My car has only seen one winter, the one of 76-77 so hopefully I am good.

I would also like to flush the braking system, how do I achieve this?

Jean-Guy LeBlanc

probably not. your best bet is to get one from inline tube or finelines , i think even dr. diff and mancini have them. that way you still get the switch for your brake warning lite.

you can use the adjustable wildwood prop valve if you want but that's a lot more work. you will need the flare tools to fab lines and stuff...

as far as flushing the easiest way is to get some of that blue brake fluid. then you bleed them until you see blue. next year use the red. year after use the regular stuff. the color coding helps you see when you have all the old stuff out. you should do it once a year to keep moisture out, but nobody does that.

p.s. the blue/red is for "motorsports only" now you are not supposed to use it in street cars. the feds required "amber in color" so they made ATE recall it and relable motorsports only lol. the amber in color is so that brake fluid can be distinguished from other fluids.

I flush the lines w/ ethanol, then blow air and dry a few days open. I have always done this when changing wheel cylinders and hoses, so don't worry about degrading any rubber. The ideal proportioning depends on many things, like cylinder and caliper sizes and tires. An adjustable valve lets you dial it in on wet pavement, but a fixed factory type is probably close enough (can cost more). In Canada, I would refresh the fluid every 2 years or so. I have long used silicone fluid (DOT 5), so no more worries.

-
Back